Sunday, November 28, 2010

200 Plus Blogs In My Reader??? I Need An Extra Day Just To Get Caught Up!

We were sitting around the table playing games and eating pie.
My aunt told us about the rousing game of 20 questions she and her daughters had played on the drive to Rockville, a small town just outside of Zion National Park.
My aunt asked this question about the mysterious object to my cousin: "Is it bigger than a breadbox?"
My cousin responded with her own question: "The DVD or the machine?"
(Because what my cousin heard was 'Is it bigger than a Redbox?')
We all laughed a lot.
My cousin blushed.
But then...from the other end of the table... we heard this question from my dad, "What's a Redbox?"
Could the generation gap be any more clear?

Last year, during our annual post-Thanksgiving get together at my uncle's farm, we were missing an uncle.
The same uncle who had been missing for all of our family gatherings during the last year.
After years of a hard marriage, filled with hurt and heartache, my aunt, my dad's sister, divorced my uncle.
We supported her in her decision, and understood the reasons for the divorce. No one could believe that she had lasted as long as she did.
In spite of all that my aunt and her kids had been through, I still missed my uncle.

Two months ago my aunt called with the news that my uncle was in the hospital.
He had been in a car accident, and during an exam following the accident, the doctor had found a brain tumor.
A brain tumor that affected two areas: his optical nerve and his personality.
The tumor had been growing for years.
The removal of the tumor took most of my uncle's eyesight, and ALL of his negative behaviors.
My uncle is a different man.
A loving, kind, outgoing, patient, funny man.
Jason never knew the 'other' uncle.  And he admires and respects the uncle he does know.
My uncle joined our family for the post-Thanksgiving festivities.
After a morning of pancakes with homemade huckleberry jam, a rousing game of Rook, and a lot of laughter my dad's brother voiced what we all had been thinking: "I love the new George."
I loved the old George, but I love the new George even more.
And if you're curious, that was my favorite part about Thanksgiving.

Well, that and the fact that we didn't have to hike Angel's landing.


































It's a crying shame there was snow and ice.
Just look at that trail.
I'm an idiot.
An idiot who has hiked that trail twice in the last year.
What was I thinking???

PS.

Jason's 90-something-year-old grandma made the Jell-O salad for our Thanksgiving feast.
Jason's nephew took a bite of the Jell-O and came to the 'big people' table to show us what he found.
Somehow Grandma had managed to add a metal twist tie to the salad...probably just so that she could have a laugh when someone found it.
She's that kind of fun.


13 comments:

singedwingangel said...

Wow about the uncle.. I think I would feel kind of guilty that I had not pushed the issue health wise with him. Especially if he had not been that way when we got married. But I am so glad your family accepted him back with open arms..
The mountain I wouldn't climb in good weather lol

Dazee Dreamer said...

you are so sweet. I had a mean ole uncle once, but now that he is gone I miss him.

Baby Sister said...

I just really don't think you should EVER hike Angel's Landing EVER again!!

Joann Mannix said...

Isn't that amazing about brain tumors? I had an aunt who had a brain tumor removed and she is totally different now, so relaxed and happy. I'm glad your uncle is able to join you guys.

And I second what Baby Sister said, Don't hike that monstrosity ever, ever, ever!

And I was holding my breath at the jello salad story. I was sure it was going to be Grandma's teeth. I had an unfortunate incident with pecan pie this Thanksgiving, involving my husband's father and well, let's just say,he had a coughing fit which caused him to get a little ill at the table and of course I was sitting next to him and of course, he had just finished off his pecan pie. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to eat pecan pie again. Which is a shame. I love pecan pie. Sorry. I hope I didn't ruin pecan pie for you.

jayayceeblog said...

You have good Thanksgiving stories. Love the whole Redbox misunderstanding - sad and happy for Uncle George - hiking (wet or dry) sounds icky - a twist tie, hmmmm? Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving feast!

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

I love that someone actually changed for the better! :) :) It has made me so happy!

About that hike, I'm so glad there was ice and snow!! (evil laughter)

You---- stay away from that hike! Baby Sister is right!

Amber said...

That is so cool!!!! What an amazing experience!

Heather said...

Wow. That is quite a hike. I am glad you got to enjoy your uncle.

(Is he going to be ok now? No more surgeries?)

(I haven't written in six days!! So one less blog to read...thanks for helping me find a positive.)

Platt Lucky 7 said...

I didn't know about U.George. That is sooo great!! How are things going to be now. Email me I want to know more.

Jami said...

That's an amazing story about your uncle. AMAZING! I hope this means they all live happily ever after.

And I want you to know that Christmas and school and whatever have taken over. I'm still reading, even if I am short on comment time. :)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

That is remarkable about your uncle. Any chance for a reunion with your aunt?
xoRobyn

Melanie said...

WOW! You are much braver than i would be! My palms are sweating just looking at the picture!!!

Blessings!
Melanie

Shan said...

Isn't it funny how such a bad thing like a car accident can end up being something you're grateful for in the long run?

And I am glad you are crazy enough to hike Angel's Landing. We were up there a few years ago and just did the Emerald Pools instead. I'm not unhappy with our choice, especially after seeing *that*!