Wednesday, November 3, 2010

He Really Said That

My dad is in a funk.
 He's been in a funk for a while.
Granted, his funk is justified.
In fact, it's a funk my family members take turns going in and out of.
But my dad being in a funk is not always fun.
Today was an exception.

I called him and asked him to take a drive with me.
"Where are we going?" he asked.
"To a store I want you to see."
"Why?"
"Because Dad, you want us to be open-minded about business opportunities.  I think we could franchise this store and do really well with it."
He agreed to go with me.

He picked me up from the parking lot at work and I got in his truck.
I had barely reached for my seat belt when I heard him ask me this:
"Are you pregnant?"
I was speechless for a minute.
"Just like that Dad?  No how are you today?  No asking about Jason, or the weather?"
"Nope, I just want to get straight to the point."

"In that case, no Dad, as far as I know I'm not pregnant."
"Well, when will you know for sure if you are or aren't?"
"I'm pretty sure I'm not Dad.  But if you're that curious, I'll let you know the exact day I know 100% for certain that I'm not"

Dear Dad, hanging out with you could give a girl a complex.  Do these jeans make me look fat or something?

In other family news...
I stopped at Trouble's house to discuss some things with my sister.
Trouble ran up to me for her usual hug.
She put her arms around my neck and looked at me and said, "You got gum?"
"Yes Trouble, I have gum."
"I want some."
"Sorry, I don't have any more."
"Give me some from your mouth."
And so I did.
Yes, I did.
Really.

Trouble ran off.
A few minutes later she came back.
"I want more gum.  Can I have all the gum in your mouth?"
I gave her the rest of the gum I had been chewing.
She ran off again, but before she disappeared around the corner she said this:
"You're my best friend!"
I'll take her as a best friend any day!


Now...
About that card...
(If you need to refresh your memory so that you know what I'm taking about, I'll give you 3 minutes.)
(Ready. Set. Go.)

This is what the inside said:

"We'll look out for the lions together."

ALL of your guesses made me laugh...some right out loud.
But there is a definite winner.
This is what Kristi said:

"It's a concrete jungle out there...glad we have each other."

Don't you agree?
Don't you think that's close?
The first time ever that Kristi comes out of lurking mode and she wins a prize.
I already have her address.
She'll get her goodies soon!

I don't know if you've noticed, but I can't simply narrow it down to one choice.
I've got to give honorable mention to one more person.
Stephanie has been around a long time...I'm not entirely sure how she found my blog...she just showed up one day. And I'm glad she did.
I was on the verge of tears when her comment popped up on my phone.
I laughed instead of cried.
Because of that, she gets goodies too.
Email me your address won't you Stephanie?

"It says...since -stephanie- didn't win the Stephen's Caramel Apple Cider she had to buy some herself..let's go to her house and have some. It's going to be a long walk since she doesn't live in the big city. Did you pack your trunk?

Am I close? ;o)"

Just one more thing...
Is it just me, or do girls handle being sick better than guys?

Happy Thursday Friends!














13 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm a nurse and a wife... I can say with some authority that women do handle being sick better than men. It's a sweeping generalization but I'm going to stick with it. There will always be some exceptions- sorry if any of your masculine readers are offended. None intended. :)

I love that your family members take turns having the funk. What an excellent way to handle the downs.

The Chicken's Consigliere said...

Hi Noelle-that Trouble-love her. Does your Dad read your blog? Because, I have a confession-one of your recent posts said something about everything being stressful, and then a couple of the comments implied changes, and I thought. Hmmm. Is Noelle pregnant? Except I didn't ask. Cause I'm not your Dad. Also, I knew I must have missed something in one of your other posts and would have to go back and read it. Okay, scratch pregnant off the list. And your question about guys vs ladies? Just be thankful that they are not the ones to endure pregnancy. That's all I'm saying.

jayayceeblog said...

Well, rats. I missed the whole guessing what the inside of that cute card said. But I love the answers! Maybe your Dad thinks you're pregnant because of the vertigo and dizziness and vomiting and generally not feeling well. I love that you have such a close family, taking drives together, talking business, sharing your chewed gum. At least you know what to get Trouble for Christmas ... new gum!!!

-stephanie- said...

Congrats to Kristi!

Awww, I'm glad I made you laugh when you were on the verge of crying. Thanks for the honorable mention. I really am honored. BTW, the Stephen's Caramel Apple Cider is wonderful! I really said "Oh my HONK"! when I tasted it.

Only best friends can chew each others gum. Trouble's the best! :o)

YES! girls handle sick better than guy's. Hope he's feeling better.

Heather said...

Maybe it was the funk talking.

That is so gross about the gum. And also cute. She looks like a fun bestie!

Dazee Dreamer said...

Girls definitely handle being sick better than the guys. Yikes, good thing they don't have the babies.

Baby Sister said...

Girls definitely handle it better!!

Bossy Betty said...

Hope your dad breaks out of his funk! Sharing gum with someone is a best-friend maker indeed!

Congrats to your winners!

Kristin said...

Your dad is funny. I would have slugged him LOL

Venassa said...

I love your dad, he sounds like a cutie.
Trouble would make the greatest best friend!

RawknRobynsGoneBlogWild said...

I like Kristi's comment better than the comment on the actual card. Stephanie's is very funny too.

Right now, this girl's sick, so I'll refrain from voting until I feel better. Then, I will wholeheartedly agree that men are big babies when sick.
xoRobyn

Sandra said...

What I didn't win? Uuugh! I promise I will be here constantly if you pick me next time! Ok, that's no fun, never mind.
I have to say, I love your dad. That forthrightness makes him instantly lovable. Just don't ask him, "Dad, do these jeans make my butt look big?" and you're good.

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

Reading you after so long is therapy for sure. Trouble and you look beautiful. Great gum story. I like very much. :) :)

p.s. I'm happy Stephanie's comment came in such perfect time. She deserves her goody bag! :) :)