Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Two Cents

I think dating, in general, is a disservice to marriage.
Think about it.
When you are getting ready for a date what do you do?
You wash, dry, and style your hair.
You make sure your makeup is perfect.
You smell good.
You wear the perfect outfit.
You might have even just purchased the perfect outfit.
Your coordinate your jewelry to match your perfect outfit.
You smile and laugh at your date's jokes.
You say all the right things.
Your date opens the door for you.
He takes you to a nice restaurant.
He smells good.
He takes off his baseball cap for the evening.
He listens when you talk.
You go for romantic walks, holding hands and talking about the future.

And then BOOM, you get married.
And you don't wash your hair for days, because who has time?
You don't put your makeup on because again, who has time?
You put on your oldest and rattiest sweatshirt because it's comfortable.
You wear pants that are 10 years old because the cute pants you bought just last year don't fit.
And they don't fit because going to the gym has become a thing of the past.
And you can't buy new pants because it's either that or pay the heating bill.
You serve macaroni and cheese for dinner.
Instead of smelling good you hope you remembered deodorant and to brush your teeth.
YOU are the one wearing the baseball cap.
You say to your husband, "Can you turn off the game for 2 minutes and listen to me?"
You never wear jewelry, except your wedding ring...when you remember to put it on.
Instead of going for romantic walks you sit on the couch and watch TV.
And the game of Angry Birds has taken the place of cuddling once you are in bed.

* * * * * * *

A Love Note:

Dear Husband,

I promise that tomorrow I will comb my hair.
And can I have the credit card?  I need a new outfit.

Love, Your Wife

PS. I have NEVER served macaroni and cheese for dinner.  But that's only because it's rare that I actually serve dinner.  Poor Jason.

13 comments:

Baby Sister said...

Glad to see I have mucho to look forward to when I'm married. :)

Amy said...

This, my dear, is what we (in my house) call "true love". :) And every now and then we pretend we're still dating....because as good as "true love" is...dating's still worth it.

wjmom said...

I dating your spouse, because how else is he gonna know that he is still your #1?

I think my sweetheart plans dates just so I WILL put on makeup. With apologies to my beloved, Saturday is the only day I don't have to wear a dress and hose and makeup. So I usually don't. Unless we're going on a date. :)

Dazee Dreamer said...

aaahhh. but if you hold hands while on the couch it still counts. :)

Flying Giggles and Lollipops said...

Oh yes, sounds all too familiar! Changes happen almost over night, but I would not trade a thing! Well, an occasional date night sounds good!

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

Noelle, if I EVER even think of getting married, it'll be because of you two! To me, you guys are a romantic comedy in action! :D :D

Venassa said...

If that's true, then I must already be married. Or maybe I'll just be a million times worse when I get married. Only time will tell.
I lose some cuddle time due to Angry Birds too, so I understand.

Heather said...

I am sure he doesn't even notice! My husband claims I always look beautiful to him, but I am pretty sure he is just butter me up for something.

Judie said...

All the stress we went through to look just right is now gone, and we can just be ourselves. I like that!!

Cheeseboy said...

What is this angry birds that everyone is raving about?

My marriage is perfect! i will actually PAUSE the game on our DVR to listen to what my wife has to say. But she better say it quick, because after 5 minutes, I am done. I think she understands that.

Shan said...

I'd claim ignorance anout your theme, but the pyjamas I wear that I put on 26 or so hours ago tell a different tale. But I am *so* gonna shave tomorrow. Okay, yeah, I've got a follow-up with the OB... what?

jayayceeblog said...

You are so right ... it's the old bait and switch. Maybe I'll comb my hair and brush my teeth today but give up the sweatpants ... maybe not! =D

Karen said...

I have to agree. But I also have to add that my husband, when we were dating used to spend week after week playing board games with me and our friends and my sister but after we got married he tells me he hates, hates, hates, board games and that makes me a little sad. :(