Monday, December 6, 2010

Annual Christmas Tree Cutting Expedition - In Pictures

Every year about this time we head to the mountains to cut Christmas trees.
If Dad is with us we go the old-fashioned route.
(Meaning we don't take snowmobiles or 4-wheelers up the mountain.)
Dad was with us this year.


Jason provided show shoes for the adults.
See the shelf behind him?
Tents.
All Tents.



The kiddies have mixed emotions about the Christmas Tree Expedition.
Every year they giggle all the way to the farm.
And then once we're there they remember they have to hike a long way in the snow.
They were troopers this year and had a lot of fun!


The whole group.
Do you notice how happy Trouble (Sami) is sitting on top of Jason's shoulders?
She got that first class seat the entire way up the mountain.


At some point along the way someone asked Trouble if she burped.
"No I not burp."
"Sami, are you sure you didn't burp?"
"NO!  I not burp!  But my bottom burp!"
Poor Jason.


Erika, or Miss Marie as I call her, wears pink.
She is ALL girl.
When she put her cousin's snow pants on she said with disgust, "I look like Darth Vader."
I told her that Darth Vader wouldn't be caught dead wearing pink boots.
She felt better about life.


About half way up the mountain Josh said, "I have two bits of energy left and then I won't have any more."



Gabi just lost her two front teeth.
She's very proud of that empty gap.


Trouble did typical Trouble things:
-put snow in her gloves
-wouldn't keep her hat and scarf on
-ate dirty snow
You just can't help but love her.


Jason too...you just can't help but love him.


"Now Noelle, this is a perfectly lovely tree."
"No Dad, it's ugly."
"Noelle, there are no ugly trees."
"Except for the one's that are Dad."
...and then I hear him mumble 'I don't know why we bring you with us.  You are so dang picky.'


And if I weren't picky, THIS is the tree Mom would get for her living room.
Someone has to look out for Mom.


If any of you had any doubt, Trouble gets every bit of her personality from her mom.


Uncle Ben brought his reactor and melted snow and made hot chocolate for everyone.
The kids thought they were in heaven!



That little Trouble...she fell asleep.
We tied her to her mommy's back with a scarf so that she wouldn't fall off.
She slept until her Mom fell in the snow.
 The first thing Trouble said when she woke up was, "Hey! Why am I tied?"
And then she giggled.

The trees are skinny this year...skinny and sparse.
There's a reason I have a fake tree.
But I wouldn't trade the tradition for anything.

*And as a side-note, my grandma passed away last night.
Thank you...all of you...for your thoughts, prayers, and kind words.


21 comments:

Joann Mannix said...

Noelle,

I am so sorry for your loss. Godspeed to your grandma. May she rest in peace and watch over all of you this holiday season and always. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Those kiddies are beautiful and what a wonderful family tradition. Although, I was cold just looking at your pictures.

Courtney said...

your pictures are amazing - what a fun tradition! i miss going and cutting our trees - but i get home so late in the season, and my parents want their tree! and i'm picky, so it's probably easier for them without me ;)

and, i am so sorry for your loss. having just gone through the same thing with my great aunt (who was also 94, and may as well have been my grandma), i know how you feel. i hope you and your family find strength and love, and that she rests in peace.

-stephanie- said...

That looks like a fabulous time. I would do that in a heartbeat. I'm with your dad...there are no ugly trees. And you put that one-sided tree against a wall and wa-la, perfect tree.


My sympathy to you and your family at the passing of your grandma.

Today's Gift said...

Such fun! My family and I cut down our tree every year too, but we don't live in the mountains we just go to a tree farm. I'll be posting about it soon.

My prayers are with you at the passing of your grandma.

singedwingangel said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandma..

cathyjoy said...

Noelle,

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma.

You are in my prayers.

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

Like I was telling Baby Sister, Grandma must be blushing over her first date after so long, in Heaven. Tell her she looks gorgeous. :) :)

I loved this post. I giggled out loud! Noelle, you look very pretty! I like that Jason and you got a new nice picture! Sami just steals my heart away every time!! "Hey, why am I tied?" Hahaha!

Where was Baby Sister when Uncle Ben served the hot chocolate?

You just made up for my ugh weekend!! Kisses and bear hugs. :)

Venassa said...

Looks like such a fun time! I think I would love your family if I met them. Especially Uncle Ben and his hot chocolate.

Dazee Dreamer said...

I was thinking about you and baby sister all day. I know that it is very hard, but you also know that she is much happier now.

You are a trouper to go and hike. I would use my illness as an excuse every time. :)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but glad she had a full, love-filled life.

Thanks for bringing a bit of White Christmas to me in CA. I love how the girls are dressed in bulky pink garb.
xoRobyn

Christina said...

Sorry about your Grandma lady. Hugs to you all. :(
On another note..this post made me smile. Full of joy, and family fun. I loved it.

Judie said...

What a wonderful tradition, Noelle! What a cold tradition! I am happy to view the pictures from my warm office!!

Meghan said...

I am glad you were there to stick up for your mom and get her a nicer tree. I am sorry to hear about your grandma. I hope you are doing ok.

jayayceeblog said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Grandma. My prayers are with your family! Your tree cutting expedition looks like a great time. I think I'm going to use Josh's phrase a lot the rest of this holiday season ... "I have two bits of energy left!"

Amy said...

So many comments, so little space - oh wait - this thing expands so I can say whatever I want!

First (because it's most important) I'm glad Jason got a manly hat. Good job Jason.

Second, will I go to hell for coveting Jason's stuff? (today it's the tent shelf....)

Your children are adorable, I want to be adopted into your family.

Cheeseboy said...

Two bits of energy? Ha ha! This reminds me of a movie. Which one again??? Oh yes, I remember now.

Cheeseboy said...

Oh, and I am sorry about your Grandma. I lost mine recently and it is always hard.

wjmom said...

I'm really sorry about your grandmother. You were a blessing to her, just as she was to you.

As to the rest of it--no fair looking so cute in a snow cap!

Elizabeth said...

I got a giggle out of your pictures and the funny things everyone said. Kid quotes are the absolute best. And your dad is right behind them.

xo -El

Shan said...

Sad to lose a grandma, but good to know she does not suffer. I hope you find peace and joy as you say good-bye.

Hugs,

Shan

PS I love Trouble. She teminds me of my own Mad.

Jami said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing, Noelle. You are so blessed to have your family the way you do. This post is why I keep coming back. You guys are the best!