Monday, December 13, 2010

Conversations

Between 6 year old Gabi and myself:

At some point during Grandma's funeral Gabi came and snuggled next to me on the seat.  My cousin stood to sign a song.  (That doesn't say sing, it's says sign...as in sign language.)  Gabi sat up straight in her seat and began to mimic my cousin.  It was amazing to watch.  She was focused and serious, and did exactly what my cousin did.

After a few minutes Gabi stopped and leaned over to me and whispered, "The hard parts are kind of confusing."

She watched my cousin, and then began signing again.  When the song was over Gabi leaned into me and whispered, "Can I do that for someones funeral?"

"Of course you can.  You will just have to practice," is what I told her.

"Or maybe I could sing a song," Gabi continued.

"Do you want to sing at my funeral some day?" I asked Gabi.

She thought about it and then said, "No, I want to speak at your funeral." 

So there's that.  I've already got my key note speaker.


Between Jason and me:

We were at the grocery store.  I had walked up and down several isles and finally thought of something that sounded good.  "Jason, I think we should get some chicken taquitos."   His response to my statement was this, "Who do you need to talk to?" 

Taquito/ talk to ... It's a stretch but I guess I can see the confusion.


 Between Trouble and her Grandpa:

Trouble was riding home from the funeral with Grandpa and Grandma.  She loves her Grandpa.  In fact, after the funeral I was carrying her to the car and we passed Grandpa.  She smiled at Grandpa and said, as if she were talking to a baby, "Hi Grandpa poo poo."  I cracked up.

Grandpa had just driven past a steel plant and Sami saw steam coming out of one of the machines.

"Grandpa, that's steam" she said.

Dad was surprised and said, "Sami, how do you know that's called steam?"

Sami shrugged her shoulders and said, "I don't know."

"Where does steam come from?" Grandpa asked her.

"Water," she said.

Dad was impressed and decided to test her further.

"Sami, where does smoke come from?"

Sami thought about it for a minute and said she didn't know.

Dad tried a different approach.  "Sami, when you build a fire in your fireplace what comes out of the chimney?"

Sami's response was almost immediate. 

"Santa Clause."

Dad laughs every time he tells that story.


And one more between Trouble and her grandpa:

Trouble was hanging out at Grandma and Grandpa's house.
She wanted to do a big floor puzzle but couldn't do it by herself.
"Grandma, can you help me do this puzzle?" she asked.
I knew that Grandma was incredibly busy and I saw that Dad was just about to walk through the front door.
I suggested that Trouble ask her Grandpa to help her.
She followed Grandpa into his office and asked, "Grandpa, can you help me with my puzzle?"
He told her that he couldn't until he finished with his project.
Trouble responded with, "But Grandpa, you strong boy and I need help with my puzzle."
Grandpa followed Trouble out of the office and said to mom and me, "I'm strong boy."
He sat on the floor and helped Trouble with not only one puzzle, but two.

12 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

Too cute. I just love having conversations with little kids. It makes my heart feel so much better

Heather said...

Grandparents are amazing!! There is just nothing like them.

Your nieces all sound so cute!!

Baby Sister said...

Oh Sami is ADORABLE!!

rplatt said...

I hadn't heard the last one, I think we should call him strong boy from now on!!!!!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

These stories are so heartwarming. You have a very loving family. xo

Courtney said...

"Santa Claus!"
That's the best story ever. :)

Kristin said...

HAHAHA!!! Love when you share these conversations. Real life stuff is the best!!!

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

This just made my day!!! Noelle, you make me happy. :) :) Trouble--- that girl, she's a magic pill!

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

p.s. I came back here just to tell you that I am so grateful you'd even think of sharing this precious family with me. :)

Shan said...

Do I sound like a freak if I say I love Grandpa? Meh... it wouldn't be the first time. (What an awesome dude!)

Today's Gift said...

Too funny! Conversations with kids are the best. And "Strong Boy" could be his Native American name...

jayayceeblog said...

Trouble should be in sales or maybe an attorney. Sounds like she is very persuasive without really trying!