Wednesday, December 29, 2010

There's No Place Like Your Own Bed

We made it.
I know you were worried.
Except that you didn't know we were gone, so you couldn't have been worried.
Just the same, we made it home, in spite of snowy conditions.

We've been at Jason's parent's house for a few days.
We had some Christmas gifts to deliver.
And some Hallmark movies to watch with Jason's grandma.

The snow...oh the snow...
It started last night and might stop sometime tomorrow.
When we got home tonight I suggested we go to the grocery store...
...in case we got snowed in until spring.

We chose to go to the store closest to our home.
After being stuck at a turn light that never turned green, behind many cars who didn't dare move, we turned around.
Plan B was the next closest store to our house.
We were stuck there too, due to an accident somewhere ahead of us.  We turned around.

Plan C was the next closest store to our house.
A semi was blocking the main lane of traffic.  We couldn't go anywhere.
We turned around.

Plan D was the store closest to my mom's house.
Amazingly we made it.
And two hours later we were home with our groceries.

This afternoon I stopped in at my parent's house to say hi.
My dad was happy to see me.
"I'm so glad you are here.  I've been worried all day that you wouldn't get through the mountain pass without problems.  Those roads are horrible during a snow storm."
It's nice to know he still worries.
As I sat at the table eating a slice of my mom's perfect homemade bread, my dad told me the plans for his latest and greatest business idea.
..."and to top it off we can sell hot dogs and...and...and...what are those chips covered in cheese called?"
"Nachos Dad?"
"Yeah, hot dogs and nachos."
He'll probably not live that down for a little while.

I'd like to tell you something.
Something that makes me want to cry.
Something that makes me want to cry for a long time.
I walked out of the bathroom this afternoon and Jason's eyes went straight to my stomach.
"Noelle, are you...?"
"Yes Jason, I think I am starting to show.  Don't ask me how that's possible this early."
And then for good measure I added, "And stop looking at my stomach.  It's fat okay?"
He laughed and hugged me.
And while he hugged me I wiped away a tear...or two.

22 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

Maybe you are just going to be the type that carries babies all out front. Could happen. Not going to mention twins or anything. :)

I'm so grateful you made it home safe too. whew

Baby Sister said...

Twins!! :D

Jami said...

It's the best kind of "fat" there is. ;)

Happy New Year!

Sandra said...

OMG maybe twins! No wait, triplets!
Or maybe first pregnancies show a little earlier...that's not true, but if you're nervous about juggling several babies at once, go with that.
When do we get to see "The Girl" with a little belly?

Lalis said...

Wait, I must have missed the announcement, but YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam said...

Aw don't cry! Unless they're tears of joy, of course. I'll surely move across the country to help babysit -- I love babies AND snow. :)

Glad you made it to all your destinations and back! :)

Have a wonderful, blessed, babyful new year :)

Just think, this time next year, you'll look back at this post and laugh while you're feeding your trip-- just kidding :p

Joann Mannix said...

Oh, sweet girl. I have missed you. I'm glad you're back safe and sound. Mountain passes covered in snow sound scary dangerous.

And listen, I showed from day one. Someone once described me as a toothpick with a beach ball attached. You'll probably be the same way. And that's a good thing. That means that weight is all in front instead of everywhere else. Or, twins. Either way, it is a blessing.

-stephanie- said...

Happy tears, right? :o)

Dominguez Family said...

You crack me up. Wait until you go to bend over and tie your shoes only to discover you can't. It's not that it's just cutting of your air. You actually can't do it, thanks to this giant thing in your tummy. :-)

Heather said...

I am glad you made it home.
When I was pregnant I kept trying to hide my huge belly from my husband and he said, "Will you just let me look at it, I have never been this close to real live pregnant woman!"
???????

It isn't fat.

Amy said...

Showing is great. Hooray for you! Also, I do hope you get snowed in until Spring, as long as your mom comes to bake you bread on a regular basis. Doesn't that sound nice?

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

You two - no, three - are so sweet. xo

Sandra said...

Noelle? Its ok. And its not fat, it is a miracle.

But I do remember the feeling even though it was eons ago.

So let me just say this- baby #1 for me showed really late.

Baby #4 the doctor was convinced was more than one and did multiple ultrasounds because I was so big so fast and when I say big I mean BIG.

Baby #6 I was as small as baby #1

So you just never know and it is all easy for me to say because it is not me.

We all love you and Jason loves you and it will be ok. I promise.

(and I better get to crocheting, pronto)

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

I like Sandra's comment. :) You have sweet friends! :) :)

Welcome home. I'm glad you're showing. :) Digesting the fact that this is true is now easier for me!! Yay!! Say, "Yay!" :) :)

The Lumberjackswife.com said...

Yay for showing! Maternity pants are so stretchy and fantastic and flattering and lovely, I promise.
ha!
kidding.

Tiffany said...

Next up, a trip to the Distribution Center for some stylin' stretch panels. :) Cry as much as you want dear Noelle. Big changes require some adjusting. I'm so happy you're showing though. Its an irrefutable sign that an amazing spirit is getting ready to come meet you! Happy New Year! 2011 is going to be so great!!

Cheeseboy said...

Did I miss something? Congrats, but sorry for the hurtful comment. Happy New Year!

wjmom said...

Noelle, I love you. Just in case you were wondering. Can I much your baby when s/he comes? Please? I'll just walk up and start kissing and kissing (probably under his/her chin), and you'll say, "Aundrea?! Is that you?!"

Judy said...

Enjoy this time...that baby is all yours and everyone just has to wait to really spend any time with him/her :)

Happy New Year!

jayayceeblog said...

When I was pregnant with my first, I could not wait to wear maternity clothes. Probably sounds weird to most people, but I was really excited to show. My favorite top was a navy blue t-shirt that said 'Under Construction' in big white letters and an arrow that pointed to my stomach. It was so cute! Enjoy your pregnancy ... it's such an exciting time ... and I'll bet you look absolutely adorable!!!

Judie said...

I loved being pregnant! I could eat whatever I wanted and it all went right to the baby! My largest baby was just under 9 pounds!
"Quickening" is what always made me cry! That first little flutter that I actually felt, but no one else could. Such happy tears!

adrienzgirl said...

Hormones doll! It's all about the hormones. You'll find yourself crying over nothing, and everything! You'll see, it terrible, but wonderful all at the same time!