Friday, January 14, 2011

A Warning

Dear People I Come In Contact With On A Daily Basis,

I thought it only fair that I warn you about something.
I'm pregnant.
And somehow, as a result of said pregnancy, the filter between my head and my mouth is broken.
I try really hard to not speak when I'm annoyed, but on occasion words are going to slip out.
I might apologize for those words, but I might not.

Let me give you an example of something you might not want to say to me.
If I call you to find out why my insurance didn't cover even 10% of my last trip to the ER, and you tell me it's because my insurance only has coverage in Utah, unless my condition is life-threatening, I'll say a few choice words about insurance in general, but I'll pay the bill. 
I'll pay the bill because I did go to the ER in Colorado.
And although, in my humble opinion, throwing up a million times a day can be life-threatening, you will never agree with me.
However...when what you say next to me is this:

"...have you checked into options to help with the vertigo at your doctors office or clinic? I know that this would be a less expensive option for you when you are in town."


You can probably be guaranteed that I'm not going to keep my mouth shut.
I will use words like 'patronizing' and 'do you really think I'm that stupid?' and other words too. 
I will use many words to let you know that the ER is never my first choice, but it if is my only choice, I will take it...even if I inconveniently get sick outside of Utah.
And then I will end the conversation...because I'll be all worked up...and that's not good for the baby.

Consider yourself fairly warned...

18 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

lol. I am so proud of you for sticking up for your rights, and speaking out.

When my daughter had her first baby, she needed to have an emergency D&C and the insurance company keep denying it because they didn't get "pre-approval". ok, die or pre-approval. yeah.

Tiffany said...

Amen sister!

Once upon a time I broke a phone after having a 'conversation' with a representative from our health insurance. I completely understand.

p.s. Your new blog look is great :)

Beth Zimmerman said...

Sounds reasonable to me ... and CONGRATULATIONS! I have been gone far too long! When is LittleBit due?

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

In my humble opinion, those people are idiots, and our health coverage "system" is idiotic. So you were in the right to let off some steam, baby on board or not.
xoRobyn

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

Everyone is glad you're looking after the baby. :)

-stephanie- said...

Pregnant or not, keep speaking out to stupid questions.

Now go take a bath...keep baby calm. :o)

Kristie said...

Duly noted.

Kristin said...

People who are in the health care field (whether nurses, or insurance) should mind their manners. I've had a similar experience with a nurse at my old ob/gyn's office. I got off the phone with her crying, and my mom told off the dr the next time she was there. The nurse was fired a month later. Stupid people.

Lalis said...

BAH!!!! Tell me about it! I'm stuck with an ER hospital bill of above $2000 BECAUSE of a migraine, BECAUSE I went to the ER nearest to my home, BECAUSE the student health center wouldn't see me unless I had an appointment, and BECAUSE, as it turns out, that hospital was not affiliated with the company that does the discounts for my crappy insurance company and thus it did not honor the discount my insurance company said I should get.

...as if I should have checked if the hospital right around the corner honored such things while my head was buried in a pillow (and had been for four days straight, thus the decision to go the ER).

In other words, DO NOT APOLOGIZE! In my book, you are fully justified.

Diana said...

Don't you just HATE Insurance company ER Rules? I am with you. I too would be calling in your situation and saying a few choice words. Then proceed to pay the bill.

GRATS on the baby! :)

Joann Mannix said...

I love the new blog look!

You are just like me. I only take so much. I'm a nice, sweet girl until you punch that certain button and then...you just better curl up into a ball to protect yourself from all the verbal weapons that come out of my mouth.

Feel better, my love.

Venassa said...

Pregnant or not, I'm glad you spoke your mind. How dumb is that person? Like you went to the ER in Colorado just for fun.

~ Darla ~ said...

Noelle, I can't relate because I'm in Canada, but I can relate to silly questions. Do stick up for yourself - pregnant or not.

jayayceeblog said...

Love your new look! And good for you for saying what's on your mind. Sometimes when you're dealing with bureaucratic idiots, you just have to tell them the honkin' truth!

Shan said...

Someday it will be rare for a jerk to "help" you for the insurance company. Hopefully within our children's lifetime.

Judie said...

My son receved a letter from his insurance company about his status. It said if hs status hadn't changed, he didn't need to respond. So he didn't. Today he got a letter saying his insurance would be cancelled because he didn't respond to the first letter. Insurance companies are run by NITWITS. If you haven't read my Thursday post about NITWITS, then you should.

Sandra said...

Oh, just a warning, that brain to mouth filter never gets resolved. It gets worse after the baby is born. Just a heads up :) You're welcome.

Lynda said...

sweetie...when you get your EOMB from the insurance co..turn it over and write an appeal. You may also chose to write the insurance commissioner for your state. Perhaps a personal letter of urgent note may influence the managers who have the ability to wave rules...