Thursday, February 24, 2011

Everyone Welcome Emily

I found Emily at sweat tears or the sea through her sister's blog.
Emily is a beautiful writer...and after reading her posts I find myself thinking for days about what I have read.
Thank you Emily, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to blog for me!!

Last summer, I was talking to a guy about dating. I have no idea how we got on the subject -- but we started discussing our achilles' heels. You know, the one place you have absolutely no defense for when it comes to love. It would have been more interesting to discuss our shields probably (see Homer's attempt), but we couldn't resist -- the unshielded is so much more mysterious. (Actually...maybe I couldn't resist because I can't actually remember what he said.)

It doesn't matter because I never told him the whole story. I gave him the first that popped into my head at midnight sitting on a sidewalk in July -- which was only sort of true and mostly romantic.

My real life kryptonite is a guy who knows something I don't know. Especially if this includes words I've never heard before.

I'm not even that smart, so this is pretty easy to achieve. And, like I said, I have no defense for it. So, if you're a guy and you know how to cook, you'll have me swooning in five minutes if you use all the correct names for the processes involved in caramelizing onions or roasting peppers. Or if you like cars -- and I ask you to tell me the parts of an engine -- don't think I'll be bored (because I won't). Or if you can explain how lighting works in a theater, or name all the muscles in my arm, or if you could just show me how to start a lawn mower --. It's like a foreign language (another kind of kryptonite.)

It's not about being "taught" something. It's just about a guy exposing a part of his brain -- and I find it irresistible.

Last night, as I was discussing this little weird trait with my friend from Texas, she said, hold on! Listen this:
           "Despite popular theories, I believe people fall in love based not on good looks or fate but on knowledge. Either they are amazed by something a beloved knows that they themselves do not know; or they discover common rare knowledge; or they can supply knowledge to someone who's lacking. Hasn't anyone found a strange ignorance in someone beguiling. An earnest question: what day of the week does Thanksgiving fall on this year? Nowadays, trendy librarians, wanting to be important, say, Knowledge is power. I know better. Knowledge is love." --Elizabeth  McCracken, The Giant's House: A Romance

Maybe I'm not the only one.

7 comments:

The Lumberjack's Wife said...

My husband knows a lot of things that I don't . . . I guess that's why I love him so much. :)

Jamie said...

I love communication, and the more you communicate the more I love you. My dear one, teaches me all sorts of things (his job is kind of cool). But in all honesty, even if he were talking about cereal...I am sure he would have me swooning!

emilia. said...

noelle! you are way too kind to me. thanks for letting me guest post!

Heather said...

When The Coach and I were dating he would, when I asked, tell me the name of muscles and bones in my body while tapping them.
That was something I had never managed to keep in my brain and it was adorable to me for some reason....maybe for this reason.

Maybe you are onto something.

Nice to meet you. Can't wait to check out your blog.

wjmom said...

Emily, you are definitely on to something. When we were dating, I would ask my husband to tell me a story. Usually they were true stories--random things about himself. I loved them!

Cheeseboy said...

Fortunately, my wife does not have this achilles heel. Or wait, I know a TON of words that she doesn't. Nevermind, I kinda wish I could sweet talk her with some fancy plumbing words.

jayayceeblog said...

I think I'm more attracted to action. You can talk all you want, but if you can do ... well, that's sexy!