Tuesday, February 1, 2011

If You Happen To Be In New York City

You should really take the D line into Brooklyn and stop at Newkirk Avenue.


(Photoshop I have not...thus no arrow pointing to Newkirk Ave.)
If you hear the name Brooklyn and feel some apprehension about stopping there, never fear.
Newkirk Avenue is the dividing line between the Jewish section of town and the 'hood.'
It's a quaint little subway stop that is home to many a pigeon.
You'll get off the subway and climb some stairs and come almost face to face with the best bagel shop in all of NYC...perhaps the best bagel shop in the entire United States.
Oh bagel shop...how I miss you.
They'll warm your bagel, cover it with whatever spread you want, and hand it to you in a brown paper bag.
With that first bite you'll forget you're two blocks away from some of the roughest streets in Brooklyn.

If you're feeling adventurous, might I recommend another stop?
To make this next stop you'll have to feel like living on the edge a little bit.


Take the J train all the way to the last stop it makes in Queens.
You'll be in a place called Jamaica, Queens.
Coming up out of the subway, you will feel as if you're in a different country.
And if you're anything other than African American, you will be the minority.
You'll cross Jamaica Avenue, go down two streets and take a left.
Half way down the street, on your right, you'll see a large Baptist church, and next door to that, a Jamaican restaurant.
That Jamaican restaurant has something called cocoa bread and beef patties.
If you're hungry for lunch...or dinner...or just a snack...order both the cocoa bread and a beef patty.
You'll never regret it.

And finally, for desert...


Take the 2 or the 3 back into Brooklyn and stop at Fulton Street.
You'll be close to the Brooklyn Bridge, if you want to play tourist first.


Go to Flatbush Avenue and stop in at Junior's and order the cheesecake.
I'd recommend the strawberry variety...
But no matter what flavor you choose, it's all delicious.
DELICIOUS

I guess what I'm saying is this...
If you happen to be in New York City you won't starve to death.

* * * * *

This post was inspired by my craving for a NYC bagel...
...a craving I've had now for two weeks...
...a craving that cannot be eased...

We're going to Mexico in a few weeks.
Maybe I'll reroute our flight and have a 2 day layover in NYC.




15 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

Brilliant! I've been to NY one time in my life, but I clearly didn't know all the tricks of the trade. I am thinking of going this summer and will take this post as a travel mate. Gotta try that cheesecake.

April said...

...and since you are already close to the Brooklyn Bridge you might as well get a slice of pizza (or an entire pizza, who are we kidding?) at Grimaldi's Pizzeria!

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

The fact that you have a craving for 2 weeks, hurt. You must love NYC a lot!

Brooklyn Bridge looks beautiful! Why is Brooklyn scary? Just curious.

Today's Gift said...

Oh, how I miss bagels and my hometown. My current town doesn't have any bagel shops other than Panera and those are a sore excuse for a bagel. :(

One of my friends lives in Brooklyn. I need to go visit her ASAP.

Eh said...

Oh Platt! Remember the little bagel place downstairs from the chapel in Jamaica? They did a generous spread of cream chz and jam on top of that. oh mercy, now i am craving a bagel too. Let's meet up, shall we.
Pues, esta es la vida. bendiciones en mexico.
-syndergaard

-stephanie- said...

You can quench one of those cravings by ordering a Juniors Cheesecake from QVC. :o)

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Oh how little you forget...

When you're done with that bagel just get back on that D Train (Q will work as well)...or you can walk to the F line (my fav) and take it to Coney Island/Stillwell Ave. When you exit the station...you'll see a qaint little pizza shop across the street called Coney Island Pizza.

Ask for a slice and tell the owner Sayid that JaLae sent you.

A guaranteed slice of heaven free of charge.

Joann Mannix said...

Oh, how I love New York City. Being from Chicago, my big city love is in my blood. New York and it's food. I try to bring my girls up there at least once a year. I haven't tried these places you speak of, but I am ALWAYS up for adventure, unless, you know, it's camping. I'll have to check it out. I hope you're taking it EASY. That's all the caps I have left.

jayayceeblog said...

I absolutely love NYC, but I've only been to Manhattan. Now I want to go visit Brooklyn and Queens!

jayayceeblog said...

I keep forgetting to tell you this as I'm commenting, but I dearly love the way your blog looks. It's just beautiful!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

This was such a fun post - aside from the fact that you are madly craving an NYC bagel. There's nothing like a real bagel. I hope to be in NY this summer and will refer back to your recommendations.
xoRobyn

Bossy Betty said...

This makes me want to get on a plane and go there now. I do think you should reroute that airplane and get yourself a bagel.

Erka said...

Platt, I will be going next Thursday! Too bad the bagel won't stay warm, otherwise I would have mailed you one!

rplatt said...

Let's just put a plane ticket on our credit cards and go...... you know you want to..... everyone is doing it...... but we better do it now before life as we know it is over...... pretty please.....let's just get away for a few days..... Jason won't care. :) :) :)

Kristie said...

I'm with Becca. Let's go! Can we also get another bagel & jam from the farmer's market in Jamaica? There's also a great pizza place a few blocks from the Seneca Ave stop on the M train. & Italian ice. But we have to wait til summer for that so we can buy it from a guy who pulls it around the streets in a cart.

Now I'm confused. Am I experiencing nostalgia or hunger?