Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I'm turning into the beggar...

Did you know that traveling while you're pregnant comes with some interesting challenges?
If you didn't, let me be the first to tell you: traveling while you're pregnant comes with some interesting challenges.
Especially if you're traveling to a third world country.

If you'll remember, it was snowing when we left Utah a few days ago.
It's 85 degrees in Mexico.
I came prepared with two pairs of sandals to choose from.
What was I not prepared for?
The heat...and the resulting ankle swelling.
Walking around with ankles the size of Rhode Island in sandals?
Oh the blisters...and oh the pain.

Another thing?
When you travel make sure you are confident in your ability to find a bathroom.
The delightful wedding we went to, in the tiny rancho of Garbanzo?
You won't find a bathroom there for anything.
Perhaps an outhouse or two...
Several large cactus trees to choose from...
Wide open fields...
But no bathroom.
And with people from every village within 20 miles, there to celebrate the happy couple...
You're not likely to find any privacy.
And to add insult to injury...
I forgot my travel roll of toilet paper anyway.

And the biggest thing to think about?
Food.
The day before we left I filled a backpack with snacks:
Wheat Thins, Granola Bars, Fruit Roll Ups, and some nutrition bars.
It seemed sufficient to me.

Well...
Take a look inside this refrigerator:






























80% of what you see is cheese.
Goat cheese.
Jason likes it.
I most certainly do not.
I of course blame it on my pregnancy...but just between you and me? It's doubtful the pregnancy is to blame.
Somehow our beautiful hostess Ana can make a meal out of what you find in that refrigerator.
But when I open that door all I see is cheese.

Last night, after returning from the wedding (where we had eaten pork, rice, and tortillas), I  realized that amazingly I was hungry.
Ana and her husband had gone to dinner with friends, and Jason and I had declined the invitation to join them.
We were tired...and I smelled like dirt...that's a story for another time.
I said to my husband, who is my favorite person ever to travel with, "I will make us something to eat."
We walked into the kitchen and looked at our options.
Realizing that we did not recognize anything in the fridge but the cheese...
"How about I cook us some eggs?" I suggested.
Jason agreed that eggs and toast would be a good meal.
Except...
I couldn't figure out how to turn the stove top on.
Seriously.
And on top of that...
As far as I could see, there was no frying pan.
I took one last look in the fridge and found Ana's daughter.
"I'll buy you dinner if you take us somewhere to eat."
She thought it a brilliant plan.

Sunday is on the only day of the week Ana doesn't cook.
I don't blame her.
She deserves a rest.
By 4:00 Sunday afternoon my Wheat Thins were no longer cutting it.
I had eaten a bowl of cereal, but to a pregnant woman a bowl of cereal is akin to a teaspoon of rice.
I repeatedly asked Jason if he was hungry and his answer was always 'no.'
Ana had offered us some leftovers from the wedding but those leftovers consisted of pork skin.
We couldn't eat it.
Not even a little bit.
At 5:00 I sat next to Jason and he took one look at me and said, "What's wrong?"
"I might cry," I said.
"Why?"
"Because I need food. Real food. And I will not ask anyone to drive us anywhere to get food. And if I have to eat one more street taco...well, I think I'm going to cry."

But then...instead of tears I had an idea.
Ana was going to the church for a meeting and I knew of a place close to the church.
"Ana, can we go with you? We'll just go for a walk while you go to your meeting."
She happily agreed.
Our walk ended up at a table for two at a restaurant around the corner from the church.
You'll never guess what I ordered.
Tacos.
Because if there's on thing my mom taught me?
Beggars cannot be choosers.

I have so much more to talk about:

The wedding (that may have to wait until I'm home...seeing as how the story is turning into a novel) -
Jason meeting the one other man on the face of this planet who was desperate to marry me -
The gift we received -

And by the time this post is published we'll be in the most amazing little city...
Staying in a delightful hotel...
Eating ice cream cones in the plaza...
Enjoying our second honeymoon (our one year anniversary is only a few weeks away)

It's been a dream come true, this vacation...and being here with Jason makes it even more so.







p.s. this baby sister over here...her hands are tired now...my sister is a talker...hope you enjoy!!

11 comments:

Heather said...

I am glad you are having a good time - shoes and tacos aside.

(I did trave both last pregnancies at 8.5 months...Hawaii and New York. Good times..the pictures are terrible! )

Dazee Dreamer said...

I love your posts Noelle. They make me feel so good inside.

Can't wait for more pictures.

Enjoy the second honeymoon.

Beth Zimmerman said...

I'm still trying to figure out what Ana's daughter was doing IN the refrigerator! ... And I would be in heaven with all that cheese! Nachos, Quesadillas, Enchiladas! Mmmmmmmm!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for keeping us posted on your travels. It's fun, and I'll be eating non-tacos for you.
xoRobyn

Cheeseboy said...

Hope you're having a terrific time. Certainly sounds like it. That is a ton of goat cheese. I'd say that was strange, but I'm about as strange as it gets.

Shan said...

That food thing can really get to a girl! It continued about a month after Fynn was born for me. When she was a couple weeks old, we went out for some errands. Took too long to get to a restaurant. By the time we ordered, I was openly weeping, lol. The servers were all moms and grandmas. Someone brought me crackers and juice the tears went away, like magic.

So living vicariously through you and your fabulous vacation.

PS I run a work experience program for high school students with developmental disabilities.

The Chicken's Consigliere said...

Glad you found food. Have fun and happy anniversary to you both

Dani- danielleislosingit said...

Aww:) So cute. BTW, every time I come to your blog you seem to be talking about goats. Hmmm....

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

I'm sorry you had no real food. I really liked this post. :) Enjoy yourself!

jayayceeblog said...

Ya know, I would just about kill for a taco right now. Sounds delish!

Jami said...

I cried multiple times when I was hungry and pregnant...or nursing...or PMSing. Don't get between me and food.

That sucks about the no toilet thing. (I was going to say it stinks, but then...)