Friday, February 25, 2011

Moses had to stay on the other side of the Red Sea this time...

Do you miss me when I travel to foreign countries?
(I say that like it's a regular occurrence...)
We've spent the last four days in my favorite city...a place called Guanajuato.
And after a high-speed taxi ride this morning, we are now back at my friend's house.
Our flight leaves tonight.
We'll have a delightful 9 hour layover in LA and then catch a flight for home.

You're going to wish you could see us...
With our air mattresses, down blankets, and pillows - camped out for a good night's sleep in the LAX airport.
(It pays to marry a man who comes equipped with all the backpacking gear a girl could need - times 7.)

I'm sorry to disappoint, but we won't be bringing home the bassinet. Here in Mexico they simply call it a 'Moses'.
That Moses...it would cost me at least $100 to get it home.
And that's saying nothing of the hassle it would be to package it so that it wouldn't break.
I will send Fernando (the giver of the Moses) a ginormous thank you email and my friend Ana assures me she will find a good home for Moses.

I have so many stories I could tell...and so many pictures I could post...

I will tell you one story for now, and spare you the pictures. Believe me, you'll be grateful.

There is a thing in Guanajuato called the Mummy Museum.
If you talk to anyone who knows anything about Guanajuato, the first question they will is ask is, "Did you see the mummies?"
I have been to Guanajuato six or seven times.
I have never been to the museum.
A taxi driver told me this week, "You haven't really been to Guanajuato until you've been to see the mummies."

In the 1800s there was a cholera outbreak in Mexico and to keep it from spreading, authorities dug mass graves for all who had passed away as a result of the cholera. In fact, some of the people who were buried hadn't died yet.
Several years after the cholera breakout, the bodies were unearthed and it was discovered that there had been a natural mummification had taken place.
I just read on Google that the mummies in the museum are the bodies that went unclaimed.

So...imagine walking into a museum to see dead people...some with their clothing still intact.
And imagine seeing the expressions of horror on the faces of those who were buried alive.
It was awful.
Really awful.
And I cried.
Call me pathetic.

The worst?
They had the body of a pregnant woman...and her baby...that they had taken out of the womb.
I've had nightmares every single night.

This girl is NOT A FAN of the mummy museum.

I can not leave you with that image...so hold please...while I find you a pictures that is a happier image.

My friend Ana has been looking for a new toilet seat forever.
In fact, while we've been here we have accompanied her to three different stores looking for said toilet seat.
(It's a specific color.)
The other day, as Jason and I were strolling the crowded seats of Guanajuato, we found a bathroom store.
And inside we found a toilet seat the color Ana needs!
I bought it.
What it sight it was...this girl from North America...walking around town with a toilet seat tucked under her arm.
I just laugh.

11 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

how awesome is that that you found the toilet seat for her. You rock.

too bad you had to leave moses. That was an awesome bassinet.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

I was so facinated with that museum that I took over 50 pictures...and when I had the film developed ALL THE DEAD PEOPLE LOOKED THE SAME!

Still creeps me out.

(I could have showed you the pics and saved you the trip)

Janet - AKA: Latte Lady said...

Toilet seats are wonderful! I am so glad we have them. ;)

Hey, instead of laying around LAX you should go see the "Dream Center." It' a great place that really helps people.

Love,

Janet

www.homeward4.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

I don't blame you for leaving Moses. I'm sure he will find a happy home. $100 to get a gift home is not a very good deal.

Just hearing about the mummies has me terrified. I can't believe they encourage everyone to see that! I don't think I could handle those images. How creepy!

Safe travels!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

It takes a good friend to buy her friend a toilet seat.
Well, the food at LA airport isn't bad, though mega-pricy. I know that airport well - grew up just a few miles away. Sending good thoughts for your trip back.
xoRobyn

emilia. said...

i love guanajuato. i've been there before! it is so LOVELY! but... i can't remember seeing mummies, even though I remember people talking about it... we must not have made it over there.

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

The mummy story was terrifying.

Hope you enjoy your travel. :)

The look on Ana'a face is so cool!

Shan said...

Oh, Noelle. I know I couldn't handle that either. When I was pregnant with Mad, but before anyone outside of family knew, I had to accompany Corey on a field trip to the Museum of Tolerance. Hearing what was done when a hospital had been taken over by the Nazis broke my heart. It would have if I wasn't pregnant. Some things are just too much to bear.

By the way, what color was the toilet seat?

Heather said...

I am so sad about Moses. I'll get over it.

I was also so jealous about the museum.....but not of the nightmares.

A toilet seat is going to be my new hostess gift!!

jayayceeblog said...

The mummy museum sounds like a big No while the cool just the right color toilet seat is a big Yes. What a nice thing for you to do!

TJ said...

i know i'm a little late to this post, but you guys totally could have called my parents and had slept on the cedar bed. jason, you know how awesome that bed is. still the same old mattress. actually they do have another one you could have slept on. they are a very short hour away from the airport. you could have even stayed at my other grandma's house (who is very cranky these days i hear, but is always glad to talk to me when i call) who lives a mere 15 minutes from LAX. i don't want to hear any more about having to sleep in an airport when there are beds waiting for you. deal???