Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sad Stories

I got glasses in the 6th grade.
Glasses and braces.
Glasses and braces and puberty.
Gone was the cute girl every boy wanted to be friends, and in her place a mess of awkwardness.
Truthfully, my glasses defined my life.
Sports?  If there was a chance my glasses would break, no thank you.
Swimming?  My long-standing love affair with the swimming pool ended.
More than anything else, I hated not being able to see clearly.
Without my glasses, I was in a state of perpetual claustrophobia and panic.

Right before the start of my first year of junior high my family went on a vacation.
It was the first real vacation we had taken in years.
Our destination was a place called the Rockin' R Ranch.
Our week was going to be filled with kayaking, horse back riding, sleeping in a ginormous ranch house, songs around a camp fire, and lots of delicious food.
We got there in the evening and after a dinner served in the mess hall, we settled in for the night.
First up on our list of things to do the next morning was kayaking.

We arrived at the lake and my recently ended love affair with the swimming pool seemed pointless.
I wanted nothing more than to jump into that lake.
I took my glasses off and put them on the dock, at what I thought was a safe distance from the activity.
I had been swimming for no more than 5 minutes when I heard a cry from my sister.
I looked up and saw her struggling with a kayak.
It was harder to carry than she thought.
As the kayak fell out of her hands, it knocked my glasses into the lake.
My dad dove into that lake over and over again, searching the sandy floor for my glasses.
After a near half-hour of searching, he 'called it.'
Time of death: something o'clock in the morning.

The horse back ride I had been looking forward to for weeks passed by in a blur...literally.
Singing around the campfire lost some of it's appeal when I couldn't see the cute boys sitting across the fire.
My head ached from the constant squinting.
And to make matters so much worse...
My new glasses wouldn't be ready until the third day of the new school year.
The mess of awkwardness that I was had to start junior high school blind.
I can still remember walking down the hallway of that school...
...not seeing anything clearly.
For three days I hated junior high.

Isn't that a tragic story?

I have an even more tragic story for you.
If I eat anything with sugar: chocolate, ice cream, Skittles, sometimes even oranges...
My tongue swells up and acts all offended.
Grow up tongue.
That's what I want to say.

And finally...
When it's a total of 12 degrees outside it pays to have a husband who owns 50 something coats/jackets.
Look at me all snug as a bug in a rug on a six wheeler:




















Oh...and too?
Guess who cheated.
Me.
I bought a round brush/blow dryer combination.
Take that hair.

13 comments:

-stephanie- said...

I'm sad you can't eat chocolate. I'd probably suffer and eat it anyway.

I have a round brush/blow dryer too. I love it. Glad you can make it work. Your hair is cute.

Tia said...

And look how cute you look!!! I knew you'd get the hang of it!

Tiffany said...

Awkward. No. More.

So there puberty! Thhbbpftpht!!!

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

You look absolutely gorgeous!

About tragic story number 1, (sticking tongue OUT) puberty is always awkward unless you're one of the hoity-toities from class.

~ Darla ~ said...

Oh yeah, I had braces in grade six too. Grade six!!! At least the kids who got them when they were older didn't get bugged as much. My favourite - Rin Tin Grin...but I'm sure glad mom and dad could afford them.

Dazee Dreamer said...

that is one of the saddest stories I have ever read. You poor thing.

And good for you buying the brush blow dryer all in one. :)

Shan said...

As with all the best tragedies, yours has such a happy ending... *and* great hair!

Loralee and the gang... said...

That IS so sad. I am going through the blurry eyes thing right now, but it's an age thing...love the hair! So cute!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

You have an evil tongue (Is it your pregnancy tongue and just temporary? Oh, I hope so!) and those awkward days of ole sure were awkward. We all have our stories. But you look adorable now!
xoRobyn

Kate said...

Okay. Your hair looks GREAT in this picture. YAY NOELLE! You can cheat, as long as you look like a foxy piece of you know what walking around town with my hairdo on your head.

Leslie said...

yikes - no chocolate?!!! tell me it isn't so!

And better to have braces at 12 than 30+, right? My hubby had braces a few years ago in his early 30s and it's even more awkward for a grownup I think. That's why I'm choosing to ignore my crooked bottom teeth and wish I would have had braces back in 6th grade, lol.

jayayceeblog said...

Oh, I so feel your pain on the glasses thing. I started wearing coke bottle bottoms when I was 4. My worst thing was climbing the steps of the school bus in junior high on a wintery day and having my glasses fog up the minute I hit the top step. Then I'd have to blindly feel my way down the aisle looking for a seat. And my kids say I ruined their childhoods by never taking them to a water park because I couldn't see without my glasses. Finally got Lasik done 10 years ago and it was awesome and amazing. Of course, now I have old age eyes and I'm wearing readers and glasses for driving at night. *sigh*

cathyjoy said...

your hair looks fantastic - like you had it done!

way to go Well!!!