Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Family Bonding

Jason left me.
Not for good, just for the week.
And because I've been feeling crummy the last couple of days, I cried when he shut the door.
I made him promise to text me when he arrived at his destination...safely.

I come from a big family.
My dad has seven siblings and my mom has six siblings.
All of those siblings have lots of kids.
I have six siblings.
Growing up we spent time with our cousins on both sides of the family.
With my mom's side of the family we mostly had sleep overs.
With my dad's side of the family we had adventures: camping and backpacking and road trips...oh my.

We don't do a lot with my mom's side of the family but we're still tight with my dad's family.
Once a month we get together with all of the aunts and uncles and cousins who live close and have a family night.
Last month we played a rousing game of basketball.  It was great.  There is nothing that warms my heart like family.  And to see my uncle playing ball alongside his brothers, and grandson...it made me happy.
Last night was my month in charge.
Initially I had planned to have everyone meet at my house but then thought of a better idea.
I texted everyone and asked if they would be willing to meet at our business, after hours, and help us move out of one building into the new one.
My dad, who doesn't like to ask for help from anyone, was opposed to my idea.

My uncles and aunt and cousins showed up and spent two hours hauling load after load from one building to the other.  We accomplished in one night what it would have taken my family weeks to do.
And when the move was completed I treated everyone to milk and chocolate chip cookies.
Jason and my uncles stood in the corner of the room talking and laughing and I said to my mom,
"Do you see that scene?  Jason and my uncles?" "There is nothing that makes me happier than that."
And it's true.
My family means everything to me and I love them.
I am one lucky girl.




7 comments:

Heather said...

I agree. There is nothing better.

Sam said...

Hi. I heart you. However, I must ask that you please NEVER again start a post with "Jason left me." and therefore cause my heart to stop beating so suddenly, it practically jumped out of my thoracic cavity and into my bowl of cereal. :P

Second, LOVE the pictures, especially that last one -- how close to the edge were you?

Lastly, family is the bomb diggity. :)

Dazee Dreamer said...

very smart of you to do that. even tho your dad doesn't like to ask for help.

jayayceeblog said...

Not just a lucky girl, an extremely smart girl. Your family is awesome and I'll bet they truly enjoyed helping out. Great pictures with such beautiful scenery! Hope your sweetie pie returns home quickly and safely so his Well can smile again!!!

Julie said...

There is nothing better then family. And I agree that asking for help is hard but a welcome when it happens. I'm glad you didn't listen to dad and got it done.
Thanks for stopping by Noelle. Have a blessed evening.

Shan said...

Love the post, love the pictures... but that last one gave me the willies. Gah!

Hoping you and Emily are enjoying a little Mommy and Me time.

Taylor said...

Sounds like some fun family moments happen! Hope Jason returns soon! :)