Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Is There A Doctor In The House?

My wife is sick.

I feel really bad that I can't do anything about it. She asked me to help her by writing a blog and since there isn't much else I can do, I agreed.

Unlike Noelle, I'm really not very good at coming up with ideas off the top of my head. She is exceptionally talented in that way and I'm daily in awe as I laugh my head off or cry or, well, I guess we all know what I'm talking about. I really appreciate her talent and am constantly encouraging her to write a book. Maybe one day...

I feel bad for another reason. She is really tired of being sick. I told her that because of her pregnancy, her body is having a really tough time getting rid of the stupid bacteria that are reeking havoc. She agreed, but is still really tired of it. I guess I am too. Not because I'm tired of hearing her cough (except for the part that's painful for her) or because she's so tired and beat up, but because it's really effecting her happiness. That makes me sad.

I also feel bad that I haven't been able to kiss her in the past 79 hours, 32 minutes, 18 seconds. A couple of days ago I had a compulsive moment and dove in momentarily for a second of passion. This apparently came as surprise to her because of the stuff she was hacking up (disgusting enough that the morgue guy on NCIS wouldn't touch it), but I joyfully expressed it was worth the risk. Patience grasshopper...

But she's been really good. Because her body is going through more than it's ever gone through before, you would think that she would take advantage of her absolute right to complain. Actually the opposite is true. As proof to this is the fact that she goes downstairs to sleep because she's worried she'll wake me in another fit of throat-scratching coughs. I think I need to be the one to go downstairs, but I'm fast asleep. I really would go downstairs if I was conscious. Really. And no matter how much I plead for her to wake me and tell me to get my fat rear end downstairs, it never  comes to pass. I've learned she's much stronger than me...

It's funny how we learn the most from those we love when they are not at their best. I've learned that my wife is incredibly strong, thoughtful even when she shouldn't be, laughs in the midst of a series of violent coughs, and helps me realize that true character only matters when things are at their worst. More and more I realize what an incredibly lucky guy I am...

14 comments:

Kate said...

Pregnant and sick is the worst combo ever. And you get an A+ today Noelle's husband. Very nice post. :)

Diana said...

Wonderful job for a guy with no idea what to say at that start! I hope Noelle is feeling herself again soon. Sounds like she has wonderful support there with her! :)

-stephanie- said...

Yes, women are stronger...that's why they carry and deliver the babies. :o)

I pray Noelle gets well soon.

jayayceeblog said...

You are such a lucky guy! And she's very fortunate to have you looking out for her. Hope she kicks this yucky thing fast and gets back to feeling great!!!

Jamie said...

This is sad...being sick and prego are not a happy combination.
I am glad to know you love her very much (as is evident from this post).
Second trimester...always better than the first...
Saying a prayer for my friend today!

wjmom said...

Noelle, I know you will see this:

HE'S A KEEPER!

Jason, Just remember the next time you are sick that YOU get to go downstairs and let her sleep. Just sayin'.

Bossy Betty said...

You wrote a great post here! You get massive man points which will be rewarded in about ten-twelve years. Give Nicole our love!

Tiffany said...

Please give Noelle a little hug from me. Sorry she's so sick right now.

Nice job on the post Jason. And may I just say what a beautifully matched pair you two are. That makes me smile.

Heather said...

Please give her mucus self a hug from me and tell her I hope she feels better.
Also tell her she is brave..I am not sure I would turn my blog over the The Coach under any circumstances.

TortugaRachel said...

Jason,

You are there for her. You love her. You comfort her. That's what she needs right now and that's what you do. Just keep doing it.

As for Noelle's lung cookies, I wager if Ducky wouldn't look at em, Abby still would!

Hugs,
TortugaRachel

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

Jason, we're glad Noelle has you because you're nice, too.

Noelle, here's a hug.

Dazee Dreamer said...

What a wonderful, nice, handsome man you are. Don't shake your head, I've seen your pictures.

Poor Noelle. I really hope she gets feeling better soon.

Dan Yorgason said...

Jason, I'm in the same boat with you! My wife is 33 weeks pregnant, sick as a dog, hacking cough, and broken ankle, and there's not a thing I can do about it - it makes me feel terrible!
Hope Noelle gets feeling better soon - love you Cousin!

Dan Yorgason

lvs2dance said...

LOL. My husband just asked me what I was reading that was so funny...he wouldn't understand. How sweet your hubby is to still want to kiss you when your sick. Still in the honeymoon faze huh?! LOL
I hope you get feeling better quick!