Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Times Are Changing

Would you like to know the first thing on my list of things to do today?
Price the horseshoes.
You read it right...price the horseshoes.

Yesterday's #1?
Price the dog treats.

Once upon a time I worked at a garden center.
A garden center that sold lovely things like this:


I still work at the garden center.
And we'll still sell lovely things.
But now...
Now we're adding to our inventory.
And those additions include all things animal.

I told my dad a few months ago that I never wanted to sell horse feed when I grew up.
He said, "What happened to my girl who loved horses?"
"She was 10 Dad."
That's what I said.

We took a vote - who wants to sell farm supplies - I lost.
We're anxiously awaiting a shipment of 700 baby chickens.
Because I'm nothing if not optimistic I asked, "And what do we do with the chickens that don't sell?"
Mom says as long as they don't go in her back yard she doesn't care.
Baby chicken anyone?



12 comments:

singedwingangel said...

Ohhhhh I want some baby chicks... you can send any extra to me..

Tiffany said...

Good luck on the farm animals, etc.

On to more pressing issues. Guess who I had a dream about last night? A bathtub was involved and no, I wasn't in the tub personally. Thanks for planting that little seed Noelle!

Vibha said...

I am not very sure about animals and stuff. But I sure would like to have one of those beautiful stone benches. And of course the fountain.
How much would they cost me Noelle!! :). Say my hi to Emily.

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

A growing business is fantastic! I bet you won't have too many left over with you. :)

Loralee and the gang... said...

You might just be surprised....
Because of the terrible state of this economy, people are wanting to become more self-sufficient. And today I read a friend's status on FB, that they are planning on getting laying hens, and asking what breed of chicken should they get. So they can be more self-sufficient. Never mind that they live in a neighborhood where I am sure no one else has them (I will remind her not to get a rooster!) And this economy has shifted so much so that my once Real-Estate salesman husband has now become a dairy cow broker. Again, self-suffiency.

Cheeseboy said...

I may not need chicks, but I do need spring plants. I already have a chick. I'll be in.

Dazee Dreamer said...

yikes. not chickens. I think your dad needs his temp taken. I think he's got a fever. :)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

700? Holy chickens! Your colleagues are going to realize you're the only one who voted correctly.
xoRobyn

The Chicken's Consigliere said...

Emily is going to love feeding those chickens. It is going to be so cute:-)

Today's Gift said...

I would take several if I lived there! And I'm sure a friend of mine would probably take the rest that didn't sell if he had his farm already bought!

Lula Lola said...

My husband is a turkey farmer, I can honestly say no chicks for us! Good luck with your new endeavors!

jayayceeblog said...

Oh my. That sounds like a lot of chicken poop!