Wednesday, March 2, 2011

You Can Call Me A Chicken...Just Don't Make Me Eat Chicken

I'm not very good at being sick.
As I sat in my doctor's office yesterday waiting for the results of a strep test, I might have cried.
The doctor said I don't have strep.
What he did say: "You're really sick."
I'm thinking I could have been a doctor.

I have a story for you.
The story requires that you know two things about me:
1. I am picky...super picky...about eating leftovers that have been left out of the refrigerator.
2. If something has gone beyond it's expiration date I will throw it out...no questions asked.

We arrived in Mexico on a Thursday morning, and within just hours of our arrival my milk chocolate candy was starting to melt.
There was a freezer against the wall in the hallway, and I opened it to put my chocolate inside.
I noticed immediately that the freezer didn't seem very cold, and there were some bags of ice that were mostly melted. 
I had the thought "maybe they use the ice to keep things cold, and it's time to replace the ice."

Fast forward a week.

I was sitting at Ana's kitchen table talking to Juan, her husband.
Ana was getting ready to prepare lunch, and from the hallway I heard a screech.
"JUAN!  The freezer quit working!"
So much for my melted ice theory.
The smell coming from that freezer was ... I don't have a word ... let's just say it turned my stomach more than once.
Everything in that freezer was meat: chicken, pork, and goat.
Some of it had already been cooked...most of it had not.
The freezer had been out of commission for at least a week.
At least.
Considering that when I had opened it a week earlier, the ice was melted, it had been out of commission for longer than a week.
"So you'll have to throw everything away?" I asked with regret.
"No!  We will just cook the meat and refreeze it."
And that's what they did...for the rest of the day.

Ana pulled something out of the freezer and cooked it for lunch.
All I know is that it was a combination of rabbit and sheep meat, and when Ana asked if I wanted some I graciously declined her offer.
"I'm not hungry," I said.
Which in fact was a big fat lie.
I'm pregnant.
I'm always hungry.
My husband, who had gone on an anti-Mexican food diet the day before, also declined.
As they were eating their lunch Juan asked, "Where did this come from?"
Ana replied, "It's from your birthday party."
"Last year's birthday party?" Juan asked.
"Yes."
So...not only had the meat been unfrozen for over a week, it was more than a year old.

That night...somewhere in the air between Mexico and California... the stewardess served us a sandwich.
A warm chicken sandwich.
I couldn't eat it.
I may never be able to eat chicken again.

14 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

oh my. I'm in shock. and speechless

-stephanie- said...

Ewwww, I just had a piece of chicken for lunch. My stomach now turns.

Beth Zimmerman said...

Yuck! That's all! Just YUCK!

Heather said...

Wow.
I am pretty cavalier about food expirations, but I think even I would have had to pass!!

Make cereal your friend!

Judie said...

I DO NOT BLAME YOU ONE BIT!!! I gave my own self salmonella once from eating an outdated egg from my OWN fridge! I am now SUPER picky about what I eat. Also, you can't be too careful when you are "with child."

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh, just hearing that makes me sick. Good call on saying no!!

Kristin said...

EW EW EW EW EW EW EW!!!!!! I can't even imagine. THIS is why I do not travel to foreign countries!!!!

Sorry to hear you're sick. Hope you're feeling better soon! :)

((hugs))

jayayceeblog said...

Oh, God bless your heart. That is AWFUL! I'm sure your pregnant body was screaming to feed you, but I am so glad you didn't eat the old, thawed food! Or the airplane sandwich!!! Really glad you're home with your own groceries!!!!!

My Big Secret Blog :) said...

Last YEAR's birthday party??

Sorry, you're sick. Eat. Get better.

Loralee and the gang... said...

It's...interesting...the differences between cultures, isn't it? That is obviously something they had done before because they didn't think twice about it, and yet they are still alive...then again, maybe it's just luck that they are still alive, and they STill don't have a clue!

Shan said...

There are a few things about being an American that I truly love. Not eating entrails or other bits of goo is one of them. And now I'll add not eating rotten meat just because it's still there. *gag!*

Tiffany said...

Eww and ick.

My sweet mother-in-law was a lovely French woman and a very fine cook. She'd have huge family dinners and then everyone would sit and talk for hours. All this time the turkey or roast chicken or other assorted meats would just be resting on the counter. No attempts were made to put things away. I tried and was told to sit and relax. It was always an adventure in her kitchen. I was nervous many, many times. Only once did I get food poisoning... it was some pork she had cooked but not well enough. EVERYONE got violently ill, except (thankfully) for the little grandkids who opted for hot dogs. Obviously my darling mother in law never took a food handlers class.
Oh those Frenchies.

I still can't believe you took your pregger self to Mexico. You are a strong and brave woman.

adrienzgirl said...

There is no way. None. I'd have passed too. Oy!

Once you aren't pregnant anymore you will be back to normal food eating.

Bossy Betty said...

Oh, dear. Yikes. I am very picky as well. The old year-old food I'll eat is chocolate and that's only in an emergency.