Monday, April 11, 2011

An Hour For Lunch

Oh my...
I am so not good at being a boss.
My sister has always done the hiring and the managing...until this year.
Things changed, roles reversed, and now I'm doing the hiring.
Ha.

I hired a young man who worked for us many years ago.
He started this morning.
He's very proper.
"What day to day procedures have you implemented that I need to know about?"
Only believe me...the words he used were so much bigger.
I just looked at him for a minute and said, "Well, you get an hour for lunch."
Ha.

Did you want to come and work for me too?

Has it been a few days since I last mentioned Trouble?
She comes to work every day and while she's here she makes the rounds.
She comes to my office to say hi to me and to Uncle Ben and to Travis...
She goes to the green house to find Amanda and Colter...
She stops in at the store to talk to Patti about the baby chicks...
She tracks her grandpa down to talk to him about important things.
She talks to customers.

A few days ago she was playing with the Christmas ornaments I have stored here in my office.
She found the star that goes atop the tree.
Trouble was using it as her own Christmas tree, and she was getting very frustrated at it's inability to stand up under any weight.
Every few minutes I would here her grumble. 
"Grrr..."
"You're a silly tree..."
"What a stupid Christmas tree..."

I finally said, "Sami, it's a star, not a Christmas tree."
She replied with, "No it's not.  It's a tree."
"No it's not," I said.
And we went back and forth with several 'nu uhs' and 'no it's nots'.
Finally Sami said, "Well, I love you much argue about this."
Thanks to her mom I got the translation.
"Noelle, I love you too much to argue about this."
Apparently Sami and her mother go the rounds too, and Sami hears the same words from her mother on a regular basis.
She was not impressed when I laughed.

And if you were wondering...
Jason is home ripping baseboard off of the walls in the baby's room.
If it all goes according to schedule, we'll have a new and improved nursery by the end of the week!

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Yay a new nursery!! Can't wait to see pictures. :))

Dazee Dreamer said...

pictures of the nursery. I can't wait. I'd come work for you. :)

Heather said...

She is funny and I am pretty sure I need to remember that phrase.

Cheeseboy said...

End of the week? That always meant 2-3 weeks for my home improvement project.

This new hire. He is proper. Is he British? I always imagined proper people to have British accents.

Venassa said...

I love Sami stories. She's got the sweetest personality.
Hope you'll show us pictures of your nursery when it's done.

MamaMags said...

Putting your names in the St. George temple on my Thursday shift! Prayers all around for your sweet family

jayayceeblog said...

My granddaughter was 4-years-old when we bought our stationery store. It was always so much fun to have her at work. The customers adored her and she'd drag them around and show them what she thought they should buy. Her favorite thing to play with, though, was the cash register. Not fun for me when my totals were all off at the end of the day!