Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Swear It's A True Story

When I was living in ...
Rats.
I can't remember if I was in Brooklyn or Queens.
When I was living in one of the boroughs of NYC I spent an hour one afternoon visiting with an older man.
I can't even remember how I ended up visiting this gentleman.
Maybe we knocked on his door and asked if we could come in.
Maybe he ordered a free Bible off of the TV and asked us to deliver it.
Maybe he found us walking in the street and invited us in for a cool drink.
It's been a long time...the details are a little fuzzy.

What's NOT fuzzy is what happened once we were in his house.
Did I mention the man was fairly old?
Old and probably lonely, because once we were sitting in his living room he talked and talked and talked.
He told us about his wife who had passed away several years before...
He talked about his career...
His family...
His arthritis...
I'm sure he talked about even more but my mind began to wander.
It was hot and humid, and his house felt sticky.
I could feel the sweat dripping down my back.

I could hear a sound coming from the kitchen and I leaned forward as nonchalantly as I could, to look around the wall to see what the sound was.
Trust me when I tell you that I nearly screamed out loud when I saw from whence the sound came.
(I just wanted to sound like Charles Dickens with that last sentence.  Did it work?)
A head. 
That's what I saw.
A head.
And the eyes in that head were looking right back at me.
I took several deep breaths to calm my heart, and told myself that I must be seeing things.
Self, you did not just see a head.  It's not possible that you just saw a head.  There was no body with that head.  The heat must be getting to you.  It must really be getting to you.
And while I had this inner dialogue with myself, the man droned on and on.
I leaned forward again to look around the wall.
The head was still there, and the eyes were still focused on me.
I wanted to grab my friend's hand and run screaming from the house.

At that moment the old man excused himself and left the room for a minute.
He walked toward the kitchen.
The minute he was out of sight I whispered frantically to my friend, "We've got to get out of here.  There is something crazy going on.  We're standing up and we're leaving - right now!"
She thought I had lost my mind and she told me we weren't leaving yet.  It would be rude, she said.
Rude?  RUDE?  The guy has a head in his kitchen, and you don't want to be rude???
To be fair, I had failed to mention the head to my friend...I didn't have enough time before we heard the man walking back towards us.
He sat down and said, "Sorry.  I was taking care of my daughter."
"Your daughter?" I asked.
And then the man got emotional.
And he cried for several minutes before he continued.

"My daughter is sick.  She has _______."
And there we go again.  I can't remember what she had.  MS maybe?  Muscular dystrophy?  
Anyway, she had something.
"None of the regular treatments work and so we're trying something experimental."
"Two times a week we enclose her in a box and fill the box with bees.  The bees come from Africa.  She spends three or four hours in the box being stung by the bees and it seems to help..."
I looked around the wall again and saw the head, with the eyes looking at me.  But this time I also saw the box, and I wanted to cry.
We finally left the house, and I walked on shaky legs the whole way home.  AND I had bad dreams for what seemed like forever.

What's the strangest thing you've ever seen?

11 comments:

Tiffany said...

No. Way.

The bee therapy seems so extreme. But then I think of the various ways in which people suffer and the desperate attempts made to alleviate the suffering, or pain, or loneliness, or fear. I hope that poor woman found some relief.

As for strange... I've seen a lot in my day. I remember one experience that rates pretty high on the strange/bizarre scale. A young man in his early 20's was a patient of mine. He had cystic fibrosis and a strange side effect to a medication or complication of his disease process (I can't remember which) caused him to...

The rest of the story isn't fit for a family friendly blog. I'll fill you in sometime if you're game. :)

Disclaimer/Apology - I've been up all night, two nights running and may not be utilizing the best judgement. sorry :)

Amy said...

Dude. Dooode. That is CRAZY!!! I hope it worked for her because holy traumatizing!

My cousin can pop out his shoulder blades so far that he can stick his fists under them. His own fists under his shoulder blades. THAT is freaky.

Kristin said...

Please tell me this is not a true story.

Beth Zimmerman said...

I've heard of bee therapy but that is CRAZY!

Strangest thing I've ever seen? I'm not sure ...

Dazee Dreamer said...

ok, that is kind of scary.

Vibha said...

ooooooohhhh Noelle . You did write very well . I read the story from top to bottom with in a minute. Super speed and then I read it again for 5 minutes , super slow . Either way I feel that you have written it very well . Mr.Dickens would be proud of you :).

Meanwhile I feel sorry for that poor girl

Akkila

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

That is creepier than a weird movie. I can't even imagine. So much for being kind hearted. Yikes.
xoRobyn

Sandra said...

I was reading this while watching criminal minds and it gave me the creeps! Brandi too. And yes, Mr. Dickens would be proud.

marie said...

My heart was pounding after reading this story! Really, really, pounding. Whew! I think I need to go lay down.

The weirdest thing I ever saw, or that I can remember at the moment. A boat sitting on the highway, a BIG boat. Truck stopped behind boat. Boat trailer towed by said truck...empty. It still makes me laugh! Did I mention this happened in front of McDonald's?

Mary said...

I think you have the strangest sights so far.

jayayceeblog said...

I can't even begin to come up with anything I've seen that was that strange. Wow! Nightmares indeed! (Love, love, love your Dickens - from when the sound came!)