Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Laughter Truly Is The Best Medicine

Last night my dad and I spent part of the evening at my aunt's house.
We were playing a game with my cousins, a couple of uncles, and my aunt.
At some point during the game my cousin got up to fix sandwiches for everyone.
I took one bite and was clearly reminded of my family's biggest argument:

Is there truly a difference in the taste between Miracle Whip and Mayonnaise?

I say there is...and it's a big difference.  My brother-in-law is on my side.
My sister thinks we're nuts.
Can you tell a difference?

My aunt served chocolate mousse cake for dessert.
It was amazingly delicious.
She put the cake on the table and said, "This has to be gone before you leave here."
I had already given half of my cake to my gorilla of a cousin.
I knew there would be no way my dad would eat another piece.
One of my uncles is diabetic and I knew he wouldn't eat more.
It was going to come down to my cousins and my Uncle McKay, but he had already pushed his plate away.

My cousin Brigham, who just turned 22 whispered to his sisters and me, "Watch this."
As my dad and uncles carried on a philosophical discussion Brigham slowly and subtly pushed the cake towards my Uncle McKay.
He would push the plate a little bit and then stop...push it again and stop.
This continued until the cake plate was right up next to Uncle McKay's plate.
Like it was orchestrated, my uncle picked up a knife and sliced himself another piece of cake.
When he was finished, my aunt picked up the knife and did the same.
The philosophical discussion continued while my cousins and I snickered in the background.

When they had finished their second piece of cake both my uncle and my aunt moved their plates from in front of them.
My cousin smiled and said 'Watch.'
He continued to push the plate of cake closer to my uncle until it was right in front of him.
After a minute my uncle picked up his fork and started eating the cake right off of the plate it was on.
There were no snickers now.
We were full on laughing...with tears in our eyes.

My Uncle Gordon, who was sitting at the other end of the table, and who was just ornery enough to be humorous finally stopped the philosophical discussion and hollered, "WHAT IS GOING ON?"
I don't think we stopped laughing for 10 minutes.

That laughter was just what the doctor ordered.

12 comments:

singedwingangel said...

bwhahaha that would be something we would do as a family. We are HUGE practical jokers

Eliza said...

I just read your post out loud to my mom. We both got a good laugh. I wish I could have been there.

Heather said...

Perfect. I love those kinds of jokes!!
(and that dessert sounds awesome!)

Elizabeth said...

Oh, yes. There is a difference. That 'tangy zip' that is Miracle Whip is disgusting. Mayo is the only way to go.

I loved hearing about your family get-together.

xo -El

Beth Zimmerman said...

Some times, when you tell these stories, I am so "envious" of your great big family! I can barely imagine having all those people in my life but I think it would be marvelous!

And there is a HUGE difference between Miracle Whip and Mayo!

wjmom said...

First of all, there is a DEFINITE taste difference between mayo and Miracle Whip--everyone knows that!

Secondly, I'm laughing out loud just picturing the cake incident in my mind. That is fantastic!

Dazee Dreamer said...

oh my. that is too funny.

you gotta love those philosophical conversations. my twin brothers get into them all the time, and I have to leave the room.

You certainly can taste the difference between Miracle Whip and Mayo. Miracle is my favorite.

Becky said...

I just found your blog & love it! There is a huge difference between the two. Miracle whip is disgusting and I can almost always smell it a mile away.

Give Back Today said...

HaHa! That is great! Definately a difference in Miracle Whip and Mayo. Growing up we always ate Miracle Whip, it wasn't until college I discovered Mayo!

Melanie

Tiffany said...

Love this Noelle. Very funny. Your FHE's are the best.

As for the culinary debate... Mayo all the way baby!

Lydia N. said...

Why don't I read your blog more often cousin?! I'm glad you wrote this because I tried to re tell it and everyone just stared at me like I was insane! Glad you can tell a story better than I do. It SERIOUSLY was hilarious though. I'm still laughing. Brigham is a punk.

P.S. Mayo...is definitely better. I mean "miracle whip" that sounds like a title for a brand of whip cream. Honestly...I'm not buying it.

jayayceeblog said...

Oh, you described that scene perfectly. I could see it happening. What a total hoot! I don't know if i can tell the difference. Will have to perform a taste test at some point. We always buy Miracle Whip because that's what my Hubby likes.