Friday, May 20, 2011

As Told By My Sister-In-Law Rachel

One of Allie’s favorite “Dora” episodes is where Dora meets a troll along her travels.
She wants to cross a bridge but before she can, out jumps a troll who sings, “I’m an ugly old troll who lives under the bridge”.
Then Dora has to do something to make the old troll laugh or solve a riddle or something.
Why, do you ask, do you need to know about Allie’s favorite Dora episode?

Well, it all happened in Costco.
It seems like that is the place where Allie likes to embarrass her mother the most.
(I guess it’s better that way since I won’t ever see the strangers again.)
We had just finished our shopping and were pulling up to a check stand to pay.
I had almost made it out of the doors without any crazy experiences.
As I started unloading food, a gentleman walked up to the check stand next to us.
Allie stared and stared at this gentleman….and I can understand why.
He was a short, older gentleman, balding-- with long and stringy grey hair.
He also had a full-grown, grey and stringy beard.
(I bet you can tell where this story is going.)

Well this lovely gentleman noticed Allie staring and waved politely.
That’s when Allie sang out, “You’re an ugly old troll, who lives under a bridge”.
It caught me off guard….
I was embarrassed but as I looked at the gentleman, the resemblance to Dora’s troll was undeniable.
And I laughed out loud.
Then I was mortified cause not only had Allie called this man a troll…but I had laughed.
So I got myself under control, gave Allie my best shame-on-you look and tried to stay busy unloading groceries.
We hurried from Costco without even apologizing because I was so embarrassed.
Gotta love that Allie!!


(This is Allie all grown up.)

9 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

oh my gosh. that is so funny. maybe you should have just started singing, Dora Dora Dora The Explorer.......

Shan said...

Ahh, kind of funny, but only from one side.

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

OMG that is so funny, I am sure embarrassing, but hilarious! I think it is even funnier to me because that is my daughter's favorite episode. When I am selecting Dora off our DVR list, she asks for "the grumpy ol' troll" and proceeds to sing the song.

Beth Zimmerman said...

Good grief! That's hysterical! I literally laughed out loud!

Bossy Betty said...

I think we've all been in this same situation!

Venassa said...

Hahaha that is too funny. Poor old man.

TortugaRachel said...

I so woulda started singing the whole troll song!!! At least then he might think we were just singing a song and maybe not get offended, if in case he did.

Cheeseboy said...

Hey, a troll is a troll, right? She's just calling it as she sees it.

Mary said...

Maybe I shouldn't make light of this, but if the old man would have been really tall instead of short I would have sworn you were describing my father in law.
Who by the way could play a very good troll and wouldn't be offended at all. He would have played along and probably would end up scaring her when he tried to eat her without any teeth.