Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Only In My Family

My mom has an affinity for all things 'ancestor' and has been going through some old photographs she found in a trunk in my grandma's house.

Occasionally she'll show me a picture.
"This is your great-great-aunt once removed" she'll say.
Or:
"This is my great-great-great cousin's second husband.  Her first husband died a horrible death."

Okay, that part about the cousin's second husband isn't true, but it might as well be, for as much as I know who any of these people are.

A few minutes ago I was on the phone when I heard my mom laughing from the other room.
She was again looking through the trunk of old photographs.
I heard her say, "We are all crazy" and then she laughed some more.

She came into my office and showed me this picture:


"Who are they Mom?" I asked.
And I put just enough interest in my voice to let her know that I really did want to know.

"Read what Grandma wrote on the back," she said.

"Sam Copley (Bird's son) looked like the man standing on the right.  No one knows who these men are.   -Lucy "

This photograph of complete strangers has been in my Grandma's trunk for years...YEARS...because some distant relative looked like one of these men.

The real question here is this:

Are you going to keep the photo Mom?
(I'm guessing she will...because after all 'they're all crazy.')

8 comments:

Venassa said...

Haha your family is so great. I love all the little stories you tell about them. Especially the ones about the crazy ones :p

Dazee Dreamer said...

haha. that is so funny

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

That is hilarious. Wait, I have a second cousin who looks like the one in the chair!
Be well.
xoRobyn

Lalis said...

This made me laugh SO hard!!!

Amanda said...

Personally I'd keep it just because it's so rare to see older pics of such cute, well-dressed guys. :D

Anonymous said...

I love you & your crazy mother!
~Lewie

Beth Zimmerman said...

I LOVE your family! Crazy bits and all!

le Chef said...

I'm more confused as to why one guy is acting like he doesn't know there is a camera in the room, while the other is obviously unfamiliar with how to read a book.

Maybe they are related to Tarzan.