Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sometimes Nurses Are Really Loud

I have a condition.
A serious one.
I cry at even a hint of compassion directed my way.
Today it happened when the hospital social worker stopped to check in.
Lucky for her she's trained for such things.

It's been a challenge for me to find much to smile about lately.
Tomorrow is our birthday. (I'm a triplet remember?)
And while my sister is off celebrating in Disneyland I'll be adding one more day to Emily's never-ending hospital stay.

There is something though that is going to get me through this.

Do you believe in prayer?
I do...with my whole heart.

Emily has had a really bad day.
Today is day 7 without milk and she knows it.
Not much calms her and there are extra nurses on call just to hold her if we are not here.

This afternoon Emily and I said a prayer.
'We' (because it was Emily's prayer...I was just the voice) asked that Emily would be comforted and that her little tummy would be eased of it's hunger pains until she could eat again.

Shortly after I said 'amen' Emily stopped crying and she has been peacefully sleeping in my arms for nearly two hours.

I'm grateful for small miracles.

15 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

That is so awesome. Why won't they let her eat. The poor thing.

Joann Mannix said...

Awwwww, I'm tearing up for both baby Emily and her hunger and the wonderful miracle of prayer. I will pray for Emily's hunger pains to dissipate, too.

Happy Birthday my wonderful friend. It might be a glum birthday this year, but Miss Emily is working on getting better for you, so that next year's birthday and the year after and the year after that and all the birthdays to come will be filled with joy.

Keep one foot in front of the other, my girl and look for the light.

Shan said...

I'm so happy for your peaceful baby, no matter how long it lasted.

Much love.

-stephanie- said...

I never tire of hearing about God's miracles. Praise Him!

Praying for your little sweetie. And her mommy and daddy too.

Brynn said...

Noelle, I think about you all of the time. I wish you didn't have to go through this. I never really thought about the pain our Father in Heaven must have felt as he watched our Savior suffer until I had kids of my own. Now that you have experienced the love that you have for your own child, it makes a little more sense. Just know that He feels your pain and is there for you and can comfort you. Hang in there. Love, Brynn

Amber said...

OHHH how cute. That is because you are such a good mom!!!

Singedwingangel said...

Bless both of your hearts. I cannot imagine not being able to feed my child the thing I know is best for her any other time...sending angels to surround you both

trublubyu said...

:)

Tia said...

I believe in the power of prayer too. Got me through a scary week after the earthquake in Haiti. Hang in there my friend. You too, little Emily. Happy Birthday!

Sandra said...

Crying is not a bad thing- it is a cleansing thing so you go ahead and cry. And we will continue praying for your family.

And happy birthday, sweetie. Love you.

Sam said...

Prayer is incredible, and this day's small miracle definitely put a smile on my face. :) Thinking of you xo

Today's Gift said...

I believe in the power of prayer and I've been saying them for you. I hope you have a happy birthday! (You share the date with my fiance too).

Lalis said...

I have no words for this. I'm just grateful you shared :)

le Chef said...

Happy Birthday!
We've all had "those" birthdays; where you would rather forget the whole year. Thankfully (?) time passes and we have better days down the road.

Prayer works. Absolutely. Keep praying "for" Emily. That is one of the best things a mommy can do for her child. I've been there - I know. I'm thankful you have that peace to fall back on. Sometimes it's the only thing getting us through.

TheBlogWriter8 said...

I love that she is sleeping in your arms- to hold her for 2 whole hours, Noelle? A Mothers heart is pure gold. That made me cry. You're a fab Mother, my girl!