Monday, October 24, 2011

Emily's Gut Hates Us

I've had nightmares the last few nights.
Real, honest to goodness nightmares.
They are always of Emily throwing up and choking.
Yesterday when we got to the hospital Emily was asleep.
She slept 90% of the day and her color didn't look quite right.
She was hours away from being back up to the full amount of milk she needed, and we were all hopeful.
Every x-ray was clean.  She showed no signs of gut problems, and if things stayed the way they were, we would have Emily home again on Tuesday.

My phone rang this morning.
It was Emily's nurse.
"Noelle, I don't want to alarm you, but Emily started throwing up again this morning."
"And her x-ray wasn't clear.  The infection is back."

Emily's feeding tube isn't in her stomach.  It goes directly to her intestines, and so when she throws up she's throwing up bile...which for Jason and me is traumatizing. 
It's even more traumatizing for our baby.  She gets scared, and panics, and chokes, and turns ghost white and can't get her breath, and then whimpers for a long time.

We're not sure what Plan B is.  We're not sure if there even is a Plan B at the moment.
All we know is that Emily is off of milk...again.
She gets other nutrients that go directly into her blood, but no milk.
She'll be mad about it because the little lady gets hungry.
And she'll now be in the hospital AT LEAST seven more days...but probably longer.

At this point everyone tells us that Emily will either 1. grow out of this or 2. it will go away when her heart gets fixed and her blood gets oxygenated the way it needs to.
We'll meet with Emily's doctor later today and hopefully know more then.

I'm going to ask the hospital if I can re-paint Emily's room...maybe bring her crib in.
Okay, not really...but we've got to do something for the little miss. 
At the very least we're taking her fancy swing her daddy bought her.  She loves that.

Room 3085.
Feel free to visit.  Or send cookies. 

17 comments:

Benita said...

My eyes are watering as I type this. I am deeply sorry to hear of this news. My heart truly aches for your sweet, precious Emily. Please know we will continue to pray for the three of you. Hold on to your faith and keep your head looking heavenward. We give you our love, warm embraces, and faithful prayers,
Benita Harline & family

Benita said...

My eyes are watering as I type this. I am deeply sorry to hear of this news. My heart truly aches for your sweet, precious, little miss Emily. Please know that our family will continue to pray for all three of you. Hang on to your faith and keep your head looking heavenward. May the tender mercies of God come upon you at this time.
With love, warm embraces, and prayers,
The Harline family

TheBlogWriter8 said...

Noelle, room no. 3085 has my warmth and good energy vibrations strumming right through the center of it. Love to the baby girl. Hold her hand and stroke it for me, too.

Carlie said...

Noelle, So sorry Emily isn't doing good. You guys will be in our prayers.

Mindy said...

You should find a cute roll of wrapping paper and wrap her walls in it!! :) I'm sure there is some policy against it!! We love you.... hang in there. Our prayers are with you!!

Dazee Dreamer said...

oh man. have they put her on soy or something. maybe she's allergic to milk. poor thing,

The Chicken's Consigliere said...

Hi Noelle, I have the feeling room # 3085 is going to be knee-deep in cookies shortly. On a lighter not, I love this post title. Thinking of you guys. Take care.

Singedwingangel said...

Bless ya'lls hearts. She is a fighter momma that much is for certain. Sending healing energy and prayer..

Allison and Brent said...

Love you, Noelle! Your little one is so strong! Can a baby be an example to an adult? Well, she is to me. So are you. Hang in there!!!

Rachel Starchman said...

Hugs, with tears in my eyes I wish I was there to bring you a bunch of cookies and give you a real hug. I'm so sorry Noelle, watching your baby suffer is horrible and I wish they could wave a wand and fix it all, its just not fair. Your always in our thoughts and prayers.

Venassa said...

I don't comment much anymore because I never really know what to say. Just know that I'm always thinking of you guys and praying for miss Emily. She's such a little fighter. I think she can get through anything.
<3

Amy said...

I am so so SO sorry - you are all in my prayers, because I simply don't know what else to do.

pauline said...

Sorry to hear that Emily is throwing up again. I want you to know that the three of you are in our thoughts and prayers. She is a strong baby. Keep the faith!

Shan said...

I can't wait to see if it's going to be option number one or option number two that gets her out of this predicament. Even though the *now* is more difficult for you than I can fathom, it's nice to hear two darned good solutions.

Mom on a Line said...

I'm sorry to read this news. I will be thinking of you all and hoping an answer presents itself.

Joann Mannix said...

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I am so sorry for your trials, for Emily's trials. One of these days, all of this will be just a distant memory as you live a happy, healthy life with Emily.

Keeping you all foremost in my prayers. And working on that post.

le Chef said...

I guess I'm going to have to pray harder.
My SIL is a nurse at PCH .. actually, I think she's some sort of surgeon's assistant nurse thingy.
Maybe she can sneak in and paint the room - lol.
When my daughter was in the hospital we "papered" the wall with butchers paper all her little friends had drawn / written / painted on. She loved looking at that, and they can't get mad at you for hanging it up.
... just saying.