Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It's Finally Getting Cold In Utah


Meet Emily.
Without a feeding tube.
AND with her eyes open.


Emily's Daddy spent the day with her today and when he sent me this picture I got a little teary eyed.
I miss my baby girl when I'm at work.

Tonight I suggested my brother and sister-in-law go out to dinner so that I could hang out with my nephews and niece for a little while.
My sister-in-law is a new mommy for the third time and she deserved a night out.
My nephew Josh is five...I think.
Dear Amber, is he 5?
Maybe he's 6.
I have no idea.

ANYWAY...
Josh spent the evening preparing his emergency pack just in case he needed to 'get away.'
Inside his backpack he had a sleeping bag.
Tied to his backpack he had two extra blankets and some shoes.
In a pocket of his backpack he had two stuffed dogs because "I CAN'T sleep without these", and a Lego magazine.  Josh showed me what he wants to buy from the magazine.  He wants a bus that costs $120.  Josh knew the price.  He has to save eight thousand one dollar bills in order to buy everything in the magazine.
Don't worry, he's going to rake leaves to collect the money.
The final thing in Josh's backpack?
Ties.
In case he's gone on a Sunday and he happens to find a church in the mountains.

That kid's mind works 24 hours a day.
He's amazing.

As I held my sweet niece, who is just over a month old, I couldn't help but think of Emily.
Once in a while I have a very clear vision of just how sick my baby is.
Tonight was one of those times; yesterday when the nurse practitioner used the word 'tenuous' to describe Emily's life was another of those times.

That little lady of mine...
I love her.
More than I ever thought possible.
And I'll appreciate every single day I have with her...forever.


10 comments:

Shan said...

She is beautiful, of course.

Bossy Betty said...

Hi Sweetie--Just catching up with you and Emily. Sending you both big hugs!

Jen said...

I pray that you have many, many days to spend with her...

Joann Mannix said...

That picture is just the best, the absolute best. What a beautiful little lady.

I will pray that that tenuous word is banished from your lives very soon. Only to be replaced with words like enduring, strong and mighty.

Love to all of you. I'll be sending that post to you in the next few hours. Use it whenever you wish. Just let me know, so that I can link to it.

Kristina Carter said...

beautiful pic!

Jaime said...

I just found your blog and am already so in awe of you and your family and especially your beautiful baby girl. Emily is amazing. You are amazing. And I only "know" though a blog -- I cant imagine how great it is to be part of your life. Stay strong Mama - you are doing great!

everydaymomma said...

Oh your girl is beautiful, praying for all of you!

le Chef said...

Your nephew sounds vaguely familiar. ;) Funny kid.

Tenuous huh? Good thing all Emily knows is that she has a life to live, and she's doing everything she can to make sure she gets to.
I really wish doctor / nurse "people" weren't so quick to dish out labels. They stick to a parents mind more than they should.
Emily's life should be described as "a blessing, and well deserved." Because THAT would go so much further than just "tenuous".
-Again - I just got off work, so I hope I'm not just blathering... but I probably am.
{{EXTRA HUGS}}

Of One Heart said...

You're an awesome sister-in-law to have. I hope the break did you justice, too. Whoever is good with kids is amazing in my eyes. (bowing down.)

CK Herlihy said...

Oh sweet, beautiful baby girl. Praying for all of you.