Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Full Heart

At the moment Emily is swinging in her posh princess swing and Jason is making faces at her.  They are both smiling, and every once in a while Emily makes a sound that we are most certain is a laugh.

Have you seen Emily's posh princess swing?  Please hold while we attempt to get a picture of it.
In case you were wondering, you were on hold for 20 million seconds...it took Jason that long to get a picture he liked.



I'm emotional.  That's nothing new...not really.  But in the last few weeks I've been able to talk about my little miss without crying.

Up until yesterday.

For one brief moment life is as it should be.  We are together as a family.  Emily is sleeping in her own bed, in the bedroom her daddy and I so lovingly prepared for her.  We don't have to leave our baby girl at night, and I can go into her room as often as I would like to check on her.

But knowing that it's temporary...that in three weeks time I have to take her back to the hospital, where she will have her second open heart surgery...well, it makes me tear up any time someone asks me 'how's Emily?'

After Emily was born and we were told about her chromosome deletion, I spent a lot of time reading about Emily's syndrome online.
One night while I was still recovering in the hospital I clicked on a link that I thought would give me a detailed description of DiGeorge Syndrome;  instead what I found was an on-line support group for women who had chosen to terminate their pregnancies upon learning that their unborn child had the same chromosomal deletion.

I didn't read very much...I couldn't...but what I did read is burned into my memory.
As I stood at the entrance of the hospital Monday afternoon, waiting with Emily while Jason brought the car, I again thought of that website.
And while I watched my beautiful Emily sleeping peacefully, I cried tears for what those mothers missed out on.

Tomorrow will find us sitting around a table filled with my mom's best china, sharing with each other the things we are most grateful for.
This Thanksgiving I can sum up all that I'm grateful for in one word: love.
My little Elimy is love, in its truest form, and I could never have asked for more.

Happy Thanksgiving friends.  Thank you for being a part of our lives.

12 comments:

TortugaRachel said...

Yup... she already has Jason wrapped around her little fingers. No bout a doubt it.

God's blessings on you and your family, may your Thanksgiving be wonderfully uneventful!

Kim said...

What a beautiful sight - Emily right where she should be!!! I love her princess swing- looks pretty high tech! Looks like she loves it too! Enjoy this Thanksgiving together as a family. So Blessed. xoxoxoxox

Dazee Dreamer said...

that swing is really cool.

Unknown said...

Looks like things are magical for you as they should be. I am so happy for you all.

Daniel and Elise said...

Oh my goodness, that is the saddest thing I've heard in a long time - about the mothers who aborted their babies because of the chromosomal syndrome. I just can't even imagine.
I'm so glad you have your Emily!

Anonymous said...

Your baby is beautiful. Those eyes!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving ... what a lovely family you make.

..leslie

Shan said...

I am thankful that you have done everything you have done so much to have Elimy in your life, and that you have been so generous to share her with the rest of us.

Venassa said...

I cant imagine aborting my baby no matter what may be wrong when they are born. My baby is my baby no matter what.
I'm so happy for you guys that you get to spend Thanksgiving at home with your entire family :)

Ps that is an amazing swing!

pauline said...

I love the swing! But more than anything I love you, Jason and Emily.

Thanks for sharing your testimony, it has strengthen mine more than you'll ever know. I so thankful for the blessings of the gospel, the connection we have as families is remarkable.

Enjoy your time at home with your baby.

Of One Heart said...

Happy Thanksgiving! When I read of your story, I am thankful, too. I like the little disco light above Emily. She looks perfect in there. Just perfect!

Julie said...

AMEN!!! One day at a time, one moment at a time, one smile, one heart throb. A beautiful family so full of love.
Take care and have a blessed day. Thanksgiving too.

Mom on a Line said...

I was catching up on my blogs in my reader until I read the line about you tearing up when someone asks how Emily is doing. I wanted to give you the biggest hug when I read that. I understand. It is one of the hardest questions to hear, especially from people who know a little, but not enough. And it can break you in two if asked at the wrong moment. I wish I had some advice for you on this, but I don't. Instead, I'm sending lots of heart hugs.