Thursday, January 26, 2012

All Because Of The HGTV Channel


My office at work is one room in an incredibly old house.
It's the biggest room, and it's the only room that's decorated.
It's the go to office.
I can't tell you the number of times I've arrived at work and found a meeting of some sort going on in my office.

Recently my brother informed me that a change was in order.
We are going to hire a secretary (due to the fact that I'm no longer there all day, every day) and we need to make an office for her.
Ben said, "You can choose any room in the house for your office, and then we will make it work for the rest of us."
I debated and debated.
Should I keep my office?
Should I move to Ben's office?
Should I move to the one room that is empty?  The one that is the smallest and needs the most work?

I finally chose the empty, small, poorly lit room in the corner of the house.
The reason?
It's the most secluded...the most private...and when Emily is with me at work, that is the best option.

One afternoon I spent thirty minutes in the room, trying to figure out how to make it work.
In one corner of the room, behind the door, is a closet that takes up a lot of space.



I've never been a fan of the closet, and in a flash of inspiration I called my cousin into the office.
"Travis, let's tear the closet out."
He looked at me for a minute and said, "Okay.  I'll get a hammer."
My brother Ben was gone for the afternoon and I mentioned to Travis that Ben might kill us.
"No matter what happens, this was a good idea," was Travis' response.

There were at least four layers of wallpaper on the walls, a little bit of sheet rock, and then...
And then...
Adobe.
No two by fours ... just adobe.




When Ben later saw what we had done he said, "Why do I think this is going to involve me at some point?"

My cousin Travis loves me.
And because of that, he has spent the last week putting sheet rock up, mudding, taping, texturing, and painting.

And although he can't see the vision of what I'm doing with my new office, he helps me anyway.

My vision?
No one could see it except me.
I'm not going to give you any details until the office is finished but just know that the room is more than one color.
In fact, my sister came with me to the paint store and almost put her foot down to my choices.
I reminded her that I'm older and she didn't get a say.

After a week of Travis doing most of the work, with a little bit of help from Trouble and me, the office is 80% done.


(Isn't Trouble cute with her face mask?)

My brother came and sat in my new office today and looked around.
"It seems that no matter where you go, we are going to follow," he said.
"Every room in this house is, 'hello boring office.'"
"Your room is 'hello heaven.'"

Stand by to see the finished result.

And to 'anonymous' who left a goodie bag on my front porch?
THANK YOU!!!!!

13 comments:

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

"hello, heaven"? Please tell Ben I'll be quoting him often!

( it's going to be awesome and I can already see the colors in my mind)

Shan said...

How fun and exciting!

We have a bunch of rooms around here that could use some inspiration. I can't wait to see what you did!

sarah said...

you know why they did this? They needed another room decorated. It is a slow process however eventually they will move you out of this office and tell you once again "you may have any room you want" until the entire house is decorated beautifully. It's a family way of complimenting :)

Jaime said...

I love decorating and remodeling projects. I just had the master closet done in my house and now spend alll my time in there arranging shoes and bags, etc, etc,etc. :)

I am about to start working on my home office -- so i cannot wait to see what you have done with your office for a little inspiration.

TortugaRachel said...

Noelle, I think you are really an angel walking around in a human body and you naturally attract everyone to whatever you are doing because you are so divine.

Don't worry, I won't tell anyone your secret.

Amy said...

It would be nice to have that gift.... wanna come fix my house next?

Dazee Dreamer said...

At first I was all like, "hey, I can come be the secretary if you pay me enough" and then I got caught up in the, but what if they have mice. Anywhosits

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ali said...

That sounds like a lot of hard work, but so much fun! Can't wait to see it!

wjmom said...

"Your room is 'hello heaven.'" Maybe the best thing I've ever heard!

TortugaRachel said...

I want to see the finished product!

Feel free to delete this comment, just wanted you to know I tagged you in a post!
http://tortugarachel.blogspot.com/2012/01/random-11-thanks-sammy.html

Beth Zimmerman said...

Can't wait for pictures! If life keeps me too busy and I miss the big reveal ... come track me down and give me a heads up! Cause I really truly want to see! Love you, Noelle!

Julie said...

Oh girl, I want to see your office. You are creative, I know that. I'm excited. Also love the idea back office so Emily can be there with you.
Take care Noelle and my dear friend, your overalls are keeping my son warm and dry in North Dakota. When the sun went down and he was running the equipment outside he said he was comfortable. THANK YOU!!!
Blessings!

Of One Heart said...

You are awesome, so I'm mighty excited about the office! I love the sound of this post. Travis, we love you too!