Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bus Driver, Move That Bus! ...Or My Own Makeover If You Don't Understand The First Title


Remember 100 years ago when I said I was remodeling my office?
And remember how I knocked a closet out and other like nonsense?


Now that I'm 98% done I thought I would show you the results.
This office went from being the most dreary room of the house to the most lovely...even if I do say so myself.
Every customer who has seen it loves it.

Here's a funny story.
My sister went with me to buy the paint.
When I showed her the colors she looked at me like I was crazy.
"Really?" she asked.
And then she told another sister about the colors I picked and the other sister asked, "Really?"
When my brother and cousin saw the colors they looked at me and asked "Seriously?"

They couldn't see the vision.

They've changed their tune.
They've decided maybe my vision isn't so bad.


The desk is the one I found at the thrift store for $19.99. 
Do you like how I used old books to raise my screen a little bit?
The books belong to my cousin.  I promised him if he ever actually wanted to read them, I would give them back to him.



I'm not totally satisfied with the futon.  I don't love the light color of the cover, but I'm saving my pennies for the pillows I want, and I'm looking for a throw to put over the back of it.
Jason had the futon in his office at home but I told him that I might need to take a nap at work. 
He's good to me.
The paintings were painted by a man who lives in Brazil.
Every Sunday he has a booth at an outdoor market and sells his art.
I have two paintings at work and two at home.
Every one of my siblings has at least two pieces of his art work.
My parents spent a small fortune shipping the art work home.
There is just enough space behind the futon to open and close the door, although there is another door to my office that I will use more often.


If you think everything looks crooked, or is slanting...
It is.
My entire office slopes and nothing is a straight line.
I'm getting used to it.
According to the level we used, that silly shelf is level but in this picture it doesn't look it!
One day I said to my brother-in-law, "I need a shelf for my office."  The shelf is what he built for me.
See the lady in the picture on the right?
I saw her sitting in the street in Guatemala and had to capture the image.
I think she's beautiful.


I was impatient to wait for the lighting to be just right.
The curtains are made from burlap.
The license plate was on the old truck my grandpa drove his entire life.
My brother gave it to me just the other day.
I didn't know he had saved it for me.


Ditto on the lighting in this picture.
The table here belonged to my grandma, and the rocking chair belonged to my other grandma.
I'm going to put a new cushion on the chair as soon as I figure out how to sew a new cover.
My brother has promised to deal with the wires under the desk (I think I'll be waiting seven years).
The pictures on the wall are of my favorite city in Mexico.

There are a few more little things I want to add but nothing big.
Em has come to work a few times now and I think she's comfortable here.
That was my entire goal.

Speaking of Em...

Here she is in the new chair Jason and I just bought for our living room.
(Happy Valentine's Day to me.)


Feel free to come and visit at work any time!

16 comments:

Jackie said...

Love your new office! Green is my favorite color. I also love your new chair-- and that sweet baby just sitting there!

Dazee Dreamer said...

I love your vision. That is the kind of office everyone should have

Shan said...

Love it!

Elizabeth said...

This is an office I have to see in person. When the weather warms up, I'll come and buy some annuals and see your office. I promise to come on a day that I'm not sick and to wash my hands really good before hand, in case Emily is there so I can hold her.

Cute new chair!

Also, I have a sewing machine and know how to sew cushion covers. Just sayin'.

xo -E

Elizabeth said...

P.S. What is up with the post title today?

xo {again} -E

Allison said...

can you come do MY office??

Cox Family said...

Looks great and I love the paint colors!

Bridget said...

It's gorgeous Noelle! I love love all of the personal touches and momentos! I can not believe you got that desk for such a steal too!

Venassa said...

Wow what a great room! I absolutely love the paint colors. I'm glad little Em seems to like it there as well.

Sahar said...

That is not an office... You cheater, that's a little piece of home at work. ;)

I guess that's the way to do it. My desk at work looks like a kid works there. And I like it. Mwahahaha... Though I do wonder what the COO and CSO think when they walk by it. Heh. :)

And I loved Em's pink elephant.

Oh! I have a funny story. The other day I was praying for the Little Miss, and instead of saying Emily I actually said "Elimy". I think it put a smile on Heavenly Father's face. Gotta thank Trouble for that one.

Sandra said...

Luverly

Bossy Betty said...

You've created a wonderful space here! I've been away (again) and just caught up on your posts. Emily continues to steal my heart every time....

Anonymous said...

Not sure what your family business is, but I think you have a future in interior design! It's all so lovely ... wish I had your sense of color and flair and creativity. Thanks for posting these photos.

... Leslie in CA

Julie said...

I love all the colors in your office. I love your office. And girl, I love your grandma's rocking chair and table and .... I love it all!!! And Emily is growing up so fast. Boy is she beautiful!!!
Take care and have a blessed week!!

jlund151 said...

Your office reminds me of the quote by William Morris -
“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful”

It seems all your things have meaning and that is what makes the room truly beautiful.

Of One Heart said...

I might want to live here. It's stunning! You did great, my girl! I'm proud of you!