Thursday, March 1, 2012

In the Last Six Months Emily Has...


...spent 86 days in the hospital
...had over 75 chest x-rays
...been put on a heart/lung bypass machine twice
...had three open heart surgeries
.. had one massive sternal infection
... had four bouts with necrotizing enterocolitis (an infection in the bowels)
...had two PICC lines
...been treated for c-diff (a bacterial infection in the intestines)
...been sent to the hospital once in an ambulance
...had 10 NJ tubes placed into her intestines
...had 5 echocardiograms
...had 8 different rooms in the hospital
...had one ph probe test
...had 3 swallow studies
...had 4 blood transfusions
...been intubated 4 times
and
had more IVs and blood draws than we can count.








But today...
Today Em's cardiologist told us that her heart is stable...
...that it sounds great...
...that it's likely she won't need her next surgery for four or five years,
and that he doesn't need to see her again until she's a year old.

We have other hurdles to cross and other battles still to be fought with our little miracle,
but our sweet baby girl has a heart that, for now, is working like it should.
And this mommy's heart can finally rest easy for a little while.



20 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yay! More sweet Emily pictures! I especially love that last one. And my heart aches for her too in some of the others.

And double Yay! that her little heart is beating normally for now. Such a sweet, patient little girl. I'm so glad that she's doing well!

xo -E

Joann Mannix said...

Oh, look at that sweet girl! So sorry I haven't been around. Writerly things have been taking up all my time, but I still think about you guys all the time. Yay for a healing heart! Yay for a warrior baby! Yay for God's grace and His incredible miracles. Keep doing it, Emily!

Sahar said...

What an example that little Emily is to all of us.

-stephanie- said...

Praise God! Sweet baby girl. Give her a squeeze for me. :o)

Jaime said...

That is the best news!!!! Congratulations to you and to Miss Emily....she is just amazing.

Judy said...

Yay! Yay, yay, yay, yay, yay! What great news. That little girl is SO loved.

Cassie said...

That is awesome news! I love that picture of you two. So cute.

Jen said...

WOW is all I can say. Your family has been through so much! I can't even imagine! Emily is one tough little girl and her mommy and daddy are pretty tough too! I'm elated to hear that Emily's heart is doing so well! YAY!

Love the pictures of your little miracle. I hope this news is enough to start helping your family heal now that it sounds like Emily is stable.

You have such a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing your little miracle with us!

Venassa said...

Aww I'm so glad to hear it. She's such an amazing little fighter.

wjmom said...

HUGE smiles and extra love for you all! A

CK said...

Oh Noelle-that is great news!!! I know that Emily still has a long road ahead of her...but I hope that this recent news makes it shorter. Your little girl is such a precious miracle.

rplatt said...

Those picture sure do tell a story.... That little lady is such a blessing in our lives.... I sure do love her.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

To say that it's a tough world is an understatement for our dear Emily.

Just for the record...You. Can. Do. Hard. Things.

Shan said...

Beautiful, wonderful news.

trublubyu said...

wonderful news!!

Sarah said...

Congratulations!! That's wonderful, amazing, stupendous news!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Praise God, Noelle! He is doing amazing things in that little girls life and through her story! And yours! I love you, my friend!

Rachel Starchman said...

This post is so, so sweet and amazing.

Mom on a Line said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you all.

Of One Heart said...

This post and the pictures here tugged at my heart. Jason, you and Em are heroes, all of you.