Wednesday, April 18, 2012

4 - That's How Many Days Jason Has Been Gone... 10 Is How Many Before He Will Be Home

Do you all remember my niece Trouble?
The one who gave Emily the nickname of Elimy.
I will show you two pictures to refresh your memory: one I took and one Trouble took as a self-portrait.




















Trouble walks around my family's business like she owns the place.
I wish you could see it.
We have an empty desk in our office, with a telephone and a computer sitting on it.
Trouble calls it her office, and she spends hours sitting at the desk working on her 'papers'.
And when the phone rings she turns to Travis, my cousin, and says "Travis, answer the phone."
She's a bossy little lady.

We hired a new employee not too long ago and she was sitting at Trouble's desk doing legitimate paperwork when Trouble came running into the office...full steam ahead.
She stopped dead in her tracks and just stared at the new employee.
Trouble then came into my office, shut the door, put her hands on her hips and said, "Who is that girl sitting at my desk?"
I laughed and told Trouble that we had a new employee.
"But she's sitting at my desk!"

Trouble never really got over that.
Every time I see her she asks, "Is that new girl still using my desk?"

Today got a little bit crazy at work and I needed to be outside.
I couldn't take Emily out with me because of the cold rainy day it was, and I didn't know what to do.
I called up to our retail store and asked the cashier, "Do you see Sami running around?" 

(Sami=Trouble)

Sami came to the phone and I asked, "Sami, do you want to come and play with Elimy for a few minutes?"  
She yelled 'sure' and three minutes later she burst through the door and immediately sat down next to Em.

I left the two of them playing and ran outside.

When I came back in a few minutes later Trouble was in Em's face saying "Who's your favorite cousin?  I am!  Who's your favorite cousin?  I am!" 

Trouble stayed until it was time for Emily's nap and as she was leaving I handed her a dollar and thanked her for babysitting.

I told her that any time she helped me I would pay her a dollar.
Her eyes got big and she said, "My piggy bank is going to get so full!"

I don't know if anyone else is crazy enough to leave their baby in the care of a 4 year old...
...desperate times people, desperate times.

(And for the record, there were adults in the office, just not in my office...lest you worry that I'm completely negligent.)
















4 comments:

Becky said...

That is so cute!! What a good cousin!

Bridget said...

That is pretty much the sweetest thing ever. So cute!

Angee and Thom said...

Oh man I choose my 4 year old to babysit over my 17 year old any day! I would choose Trouble too she is so good to Em. I'm sorry you are a single mom right now- I hate it when my hubs goes out of town. I tell him he leaves me and I'm out numbered!humpfh Maybe we can play if the sun ever comes out.

Venassa said...

I've let my 4 year old nephew 'watch' Chloe a time or two. Trouble sounds like she's a good sitter anyway.