Monday, April 16, 2012

There Is A Reason We Eat Out

A green salad was my assignment for our Easter Sunday dinner.
I tracked down the sister in charge of dessert and asked if I could switch with her.
She agreed after I told her that I was going to make cupcakes like Mom always made at Easter.

I Googled butter cream frosting and found a recipe that had 5 stars and 27 positive reviews.
The recipe called for 2 sticks of butter and 3/4 cup of powdered sugar.
I didn't have butter and used margarine instead.

That was only my first mistake.

When I realized that margarine was not going to cut it I called my sister.
She didn't have butter...and that meant a quick trip to the grocery store...the grocery store that almost requires you speak Spanish on the weekends.  Monday - Friday you go and think you're in the United States but on the weekend it's a different story.
Lucky for me I speak Spanish.

After waiting in line for what seemed like forever, I took my butter home and tried again.

2 sticks of butter, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk ...

That's what the recipe called for.  I double and triple checked it.  And it had 27 positive reviews.

The frosting was basically a blob of butter and I couldn't use it.  Just like that the second batch of icing went down the sink.

On my third attempt I used a different recipe.  This one called for 1/2 cube of butter and 3 cups of powdered sugar...and as you can imagine it tasted purely of powdered sugar.

In my mind I heard my mom saying 'use more salt'.  That was her cure for everything.
I tried more salt, more vanilla, more milk...nothing worked.
It tasted like powdered sugar.
I added cherry flavoring...I used more salt...
I was at my wits end.

Jason called his mom and asked 'how do you make frosting?'
She suggested we add cool whip, and so we did.
But then Jason just kept adding it, and by the time it tasted good it was too runny and wouldn't stay on the cupcakes.



I'll admit that I was beyond grouchy at this point.
I had a fine layer of powdered sugar on every surface in my kitchen, and had been working on making this frosting for far longer than I had planned, and as a result I lost my only opportunity for a nap.

I called my mom and asked, "Mom, HOW THE HECK (because I can't say the other word in front of my mom) do you make frosting?"

She gave me the name of another recipe to Google and after laughing at my predicament wished me luck.

I looked up the recipe and started on another batch of frosting.
At the point I realized I was out of powdered sugar,  I thought about throwing my mixer across the kitchen.

My sister did have powdered sugar and not only did she let me borrow it, she brought it to me.

Jason declared that the frosting tasted good but I wouldn't know.  I swore I would never taste frosting again.

You would think after such an event my family would take pity on me.
They didn't.
Yesterday I was in charge of Sunday dinner.
We had tacos...because how hard can it be to mess tacos up?
Not hard, unless you're me.  When all was said and done I didn't have enough meat and my mom had to come to my rescue...again.

Meagan?
Kristin?
Anyone who has a good frosting recipe?

Would you kindly send it my way?


7 comments:

Kristin @ Simply Klassic Home said...

Ok, since you asked, here's my favorite recipe for frosting:

1. Drive to the grocery store.
2. Find the cake mix aisle.
3. Pick out the can of frosting that says it's on sale in whatever flavor you need.
4. Take it home and ice your cupcakes.
5. Pretend you made it yourself.

That's it! ;)

Or you can try this one:

Easy Buttercream Icing
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 Tblsp milk

Whip the butter until fluffy. Gradually add in 1 cup of the powdered sugar and reduce speed to low, add in the liquid, salt and flavoring. Last the rest of the powdered sugar. If firmer icing is needed, add in a bit more powdered sugar, if softer icing is needed, add in a bit more of the milk. Flavor as desired.

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, you are determined, if nothing else! LOL I love buttercream frosting but I usually just google a recipe too and it works perfectly. maybe the butter needs to be room temp? I don't know. Glad you have family nearby to rescue you :)

adrienzgirl said...

Poor Noelle!

Easy Buttercream Frosting

2 sticks softened butter (do not substitute margarine)

3 cups Confectioner's (powdered) sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (do not use imitation)

2-3 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream


Whip the softened butter in the mixer until it is light and fluffy. Gently incorporate the powdered sugar a little at a time. Add vanilla. Add cream a tablespoon at a time until the consistency is what you want.

Voila!

angel shrout said...

Oh I love to cook. Before my mom passed she admitted that she loved my cooking, despite me not being under her arm when I was younger learning. I pretty much taught myself. I can tell ya a mean cream cheese frosting recipe. ALWAYS invest in real butter, it is better for you anyway. FYI bugs won't eat margarine because they know how bad it is for ya. Oh I moved my new address is http://singedwingangelspad.com. I transferred to a WP blog.

Unknown said...

Hi my name s Libby and I'm delegating. ;-) I'm friends with KIM from TX that sent E the headband. I'm actually a pastry chef and I'll share my wedding cake icing recipe. Super easy and you can smooth ice it on cakes or cupcakes.

Libby's Icing
2 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 sticks salted butter (room temperature)
2 -8oz packages off full fat Philly cream cheese (room temp)
*do not use reduced fat or off brand

Cream together until smooth scraping sides of bowl.

SLOWLY add 2 bags of powdered sugar (total of 4 pounds). I prefer dominos brand, if you have it there. Keep scraping the bowl.

2 Tablespoons of REAL vanilla extract, blend in well.

This makes a ton of icing, you can cut it in half but I just make a big batch then freeze some to have on graham crackers later.

Enjoy and do NOT sub margarine. ;-).
P.S. I have a modification to make chocolate too if you want that.

Beth Zimmerman said...

Poor Noelle! I don't have a recipe for frosting. It's just something that I do ... basically I whip the butter (not margarine) and then add powdered sugar until it's pretty thick. Add a couple of tablespoons of milk and a teaspoon of vanilla. More sugar if needed to adjust consistency. People are always asking me for the recipe so it must be good! Though I put it on cookies more often than cupcakes!

Unknown said...

Not delegating....de-learking