Sunday, May 13, 2012

Glimpses

I walked with an older lady to her car yesterday.
She had purchased some plants and I carried them for her.
"I will have to see if I can move some things to make room for these," she said as she opened her trunk.
She had two cases of vanilla Ensure and a case of canned juice.
"I'll take care of it," I told her.

And while I rearranged the things in her trunk she told me about her son.
How he only had just a little bit of time to help her, and so she didn't ask him to help carry the groceries into the house.
"Maybe someone will take pity on me," she said, "and help me carry these into the house.  Or I can always wait until Tuesday when the nurse comes."

"But what if you get thirsty between now and Tuesday?" I asked.
She laughed and told me not to worry.  She had plenty already in the house to last that long.

"My husband is home," she said.  "He's on hospice.  He's really sick."

"And you take care of him?" I asked.

When she nodded yes I told her that she was a good wife and she shook her head.

"No, he's the good one.  He's taken care of me my whole life.  It's the least I can do."

* * * * * * *

A young girl, maybe 4 or 5, sat quietly on a cart filled with plants, waiting for her mom to check out.
All of a sudden she looked up at her mom and said, "Mom I just love you so much!"

* * * * * * *

A man came to the counter with a peach tree on his cart.
"One peachy peach please," he said.
"Coming right up," I replied.

"One awesome Mother's Day gift," he said.

"One awesome Mother's Day gift with a really sappy card right?" I casually hinted.

He laughed.
A lot.

* * * * * * *

A white haired man said to his equally white haired wife, "Babe hand me the car keys."

"Did you just call her babe?" I asked.

"I did.  She's been babe since the day we got married 53 years ago," he told me.

"That may be the sweetest thing I've heard all day," I told him.

* * * * * * *

A husband said to his wife, "The thing I really wanted to get you for Mother's Day didn't work out.  I just didn't have enough time..."

And as he was about to explain more the wife interrupted him and said, "These plants are all I need.  Thank you for the wonderful Mother's Day gift."

* * * * * * *

As a lady walked away from the counter she said to my sister, "Happy Mother's Day."

I helped her carry her things to her car and she said to me, "I probably shouldn't say that.  I would never want to hurt someone who doesn't have kids."

And then she told me about her two daughters-in-law who are both struggling to have children of their own.

* * * * * * *

I heard the news last night of a family member who found out she was pregnant.
15 years after she was told she would never have children.

* * * * * * *

Life is full of examples, both good and bad.
I am grateful to the good examples in my life, both of friends and strangers, who teach me every day what it means to be a wife and mother.

Happy Mother's Day.


9 comments:

-stephanie- said...

You had a blessed day.

Happy Mother's Day!!! Enjoy your little one who made this day possible for you.

Shan said...

That is beautiful, top to bottom.

Jessica Wallace said...

Beautiful reminders!

Dazee Dreamer said...

Happy Mothers Day to you. Those are awesome things that you heard yesterday.

Kim said...

I loved reading these stories, thank you for sharing. You too areba good wife, good mommy and good person. Xoxoxo Happy Mothers Day Noelle :)

Anonymous said...

About the toilet lid: boys are like that!! Just sayin'! Darn their hides!!

About the wonderful "glimpses": I wish I could draw "real" cartoons 'cause I have a picture in my head for each one. And you'd be saying "awww"! Ordinary folks say the most awesome things...without even knowing it! You are in a good spot to hear some of them...

About that precious baby girl: Thank you Heavenly Father, for blessing her, yet again. I wouldn't miss reading about her for all the Diet Coke in the State of Rhode Island. (...and that's a lot!!)

Love you ALL soooo much!!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Praying that you had a wonderful day too, sweet girl! You are a wonderful example of love and graciousness to all of us!

Lalis said...

Happy Mother's Day, Noelle! It goes without saying what a wonderful mother you are.

Also, I hope you don't mind, but I shared this post on facebook.

Natasha and Jesse said...

I love these glimpses. The first one made me cry. I hope you had a good mother's day.