Thursday, June 28, 2012

For Daddy


A relative we don't see often was asking me about Emily.

"How is her heart?"
I told him that for now her heart is awesome.

"How is her development?"
She's advanced in some things, and delayed in others, but she's doing great, and she responds really well to therapy...is what I said.

"What effect will her syndrome have on her IQ?"
Yes, he really asked that.
I told him that she might have some learning disabilities.

"How will her syndrome affect her emotional state?"
Again...I couldn't believe he even knew to ask this question.

I'm trying to be honest and open about Em and her chromosome deletion.
I don't ever want it to define her, but if someone asks I will tell them.

There is a greater chance that Em could develop bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia in her late teens or early adult life...that's what the research shows.

I hate that research, and I try really hard not to focus on it, but it's there and my uncle asked.

His response really surprised me.

"I can see that as a possibility; she's really emotionally detached from life."

I had no response.
What I wanted to say was 'you've seen her twice in her entire life, she doesn't know you, and you have no clue what you're talking about.'

I didn't say anything.
But I thought about it all day long.

Later in the day Em was watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...again.
At work it's the only show I have and we watch it while she's eating, to keep her entertained.

Em has the same response to every Mickey Mouse Clubhouse we watch except one.
One of the episodes has bees, and Emily has something against the bees.
The first time she watched it I thought she was going to have a heart attack.
Yesterday when she watched it I recorded it so that Jason could see what I mean when I tell him about how Emily reacts.

I laugh every time I watch it.

And Uncle?  If you were Mickey Mouse,  I can guarantee you would feel differently about Emily's emotional attachments!


9 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

omg, such a cute video. Honestly, I'm going to track down that guy and slap the crap out of him. Other people can develop bi-polar.

Lalis said...

Umm... some people have no tact whatsoever...

I can't stress this enough Noelle, but don't let ANYONE define Emily for you.

Cross every bridge as you get to it. The future isn't here and thus it has yet to exist. Don't let it define Em either.

And I'm sorry, but just from seeing pictures and seeing her interact with you she since pretty aware of her surrounds and her life.

Anonymous said...

Seriously? Anyone who is around your cutie pants for at least 30 seconds can see she has emotional attachments. I admit, I haven't seen you or her as much as I'd like. But whenever I do, Emily is interactive & oh so entertaining!

Thanks for sharing the video. In the last few seconds I chuckled & thought, "There's that growl I love so dear!"

<3 you both!
~Lewie

Bridget said...

Dear Uncle,
You have no idea what you are talking about. You are also rude. I think you are the one with the messed up emotional state. I would say more, but I know you are also one of God's children, and He loves you too.
PS Good Grief
Sincerely,
Someone who thinks you need to get a clue.

TortugaRachel said...

Did I catch that right? Was she growling at the bees? That was hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Noelle,

Just treat Emily like she is a beautiful perfect smart girl.

Kim Molnar said...

OMGoodness, Noelle! She is so adorable. Her pictures put a smile on my face EVERY time and the videos, well, they put me over the top with joy! Thank you so much for sharing your little lady with us. She is a treasure!

Sam said...

Dear Uncle whom I don't know yet assume is not a doctor... please don't stoop to making judgements about a BABY based off the entire two visits you've ever had.

Yes, I can see what he means. That video.. so emotionally detached. It was like watching paint dry.

Psssht. She is the CUTEST little bundle of adorable I've ever seen. And don't worry about what research says. Everyone is different, and I think sweet little Emily will surprise people. :) xoxo

Steph said...

Oh my gosh, that was so cute! I love it!!! She is a doll.