Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Beginnings

In Emily's world, every milestone is celebrated.
Em's team of therapists met with Jason and I today to discuss the goals we want to set for Em for the next six months.
One of those goals said "Emily will be crawling on her own and walking with support."
In what was less than 5 minutes after the goal was set, Emily took her very first official crawl, and we were all there to celebrate with her.

(The bare legs and voices you see and hear are not mine...just so you know.)





I visited with an old friend last night.
We hadn't seen each other in nearly 20 years, and she was here visiting with her kids from out of town.
We reconnected through my blog and have emailed back and forth a little bit.

She brought her youngest daughter to have a play date with Emily while we chatted.

My dear sweet friend has been in a living hell since the day she got married more than 15 years ago, and she recently had the incredible courage to break the terrible cycle of abuse that she was experiencing and file for divorce.

As I listened to my friend's story and as I shared a little bit of Emily's story, I was overcome with emotion more than once.
And as I thought about our conversation late into the night, I realized that I was blessed to have spent the evening with two of the strongest and bravest people I know in this world...one just starting her life, and one just starting her life again.

Beginnings are a beautiful thing.

7 comments:

Lalis said...

Noelle, you are blessed! And I agree completely, beginnings are beautiful and they come in many different ways!!! You know my little fluffy buddy passed away recently and it has been so hard for me. Right now my family (away from my family) consists of Nader and the bunnies. I miss that little guy so much. But his absence opened up a spot for another bunny, and Nad and I were able to adopt a beautiful big bun from the Humane Society. He bonded with Jamili within three days! (Bunny bondings can take months!) Watching them together fills me with such joy. It doesn't make me miss Moshi any less but I do feel blessed. I know the story perhaps doesn't even bear comparison. You and I are on such different chapters of our lives right now, but I am learning too that while some things end, other wonderful things can begin also.

I am so happy for Emily and her milestones! They certainly deserve to be celebrated. Emily must be one valiant spirit! I feel honored to count her mom among my friends :) Keep up the good work little Em!!!

The Lumberjack's Wife said...

She crawled! How wonderful. What a blessing! :)

Amy said...

Em (and your friend) are so SO strong! Look at them go. (prayers all around.)

Joann Mannix said...

Oh, how beautiful, Noelle. I wish your friend luck in her new journey.

And yay for Emily! That was a thrilling sight. She's on her way! I knew she could do it.

Dazee Dreamer said...

I just got goosebumps watching the video. Congrats Emily

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than a self-fulfilling IFSP! She is so earnest - heading for her goal.

Leslie in CA

Shan said...

Every milestone *should* be celebrated, so celebrate I did! I did a little happy dance from 1000 or miles away.