Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Would You Be So Kind?

I'm writing this post from my front porch.
It's after 11:00pm and the night is quiet.
I love outside, and I love quiet.

There was a time when my dad faced the very real possibility of going blind.
He and my mom were coming up with the back-up plan for their new life.
My dad would go back to school and would eventually teach college.

My mom talks often about the morning my dad stumbled into the kitchen, barely able to see...how he kissed her goodbye and got in his truck to make the hour drive to work.
My mom prayed harder than she ever had that my dad would make it to work safely.

It wasn't long after that my dad was given the gift of a double cornea transplant.

It's funny.
It wasn't until I was thinking about this post that I realized what the reality of those corneas meant for someone else.
Someone lost a person they loved.
Someone mourned.
Someone had their heart broken.
And my dad received his sight.

* * * * *

There is a unique bond that I've developed with a group of moms...a group of moms who know all to well what it means to have a baby born with a congenital heart defect.
We all have a different story, and a different road to walk, but we connect on a level that has been a blessing for all of us.

When these moms hurt, I hurt.
When their children reach milestones I cheer.
When they need comfort, comfort is there in abundance.
When I've needed comfort, and a listening ear, I've had it.

Right now in our group there are three moms living their lives at the hospital, waiting with their little ones and praying for the miracle of a new heart.

One mom, who I've not met in person, but who inspires me every day, is waiting with her son for his second heart.
She's gone through this particular hell more than once, and yet she is the epitome of grace.
I want to be like her when I grow up.

Another heart mom, who also waited with her little one for a new heart, spent some time with Matthew and his mommy and made this beautiful video.

Take a minute...I promise it will touch your heart.
And if you haven't already, please consider becoming an organ donor ... for dads who are going blind, and for little ones who deserve to play with their mommy without a million cords attached to their body.





Video taken with permission from this blog.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Shan said...

I am an organ, tissue and marrow donor. Or, I will be at some point.

One thing I wish more people would realize is that most of us can donate *something*. A good friend of mine lost her battle with Cystic Fibrosis several years ago. Even her tiny little body was able to help a couple people.

I hope your friends and their children get what they need.

CK said...

That is beautiful...and made me cry. I am a donor and when the time comes, I hope that my donation will help someone like Matthew.

Dazee Dreamer said...

Thank you for sharing that video. My cousins little girl had a liver transplant over a year ago. It is so important that people donate.

Amy Johnson Goodman said...

Thank you for this. This is a subject dear to me too. Several years ago, three children in my life died in a terrible car accident. They were able to give the gift of sight to three people. It was a beautiful, comforting thing that renewed life could come out of tragedy.

Rachel Starchman said...

I'm bawling and my sweet little boys are asking me why. It's guy wrenching. I cannot imagine being a mommy waiting for fix that I couldn't help with. I am making sure we are donors and if something should ever happen I hope that we could help even just one little or big person. Thank you for sharing this Noelle. After I told them why I cried they wanted to watch it, so we did together. **kiss** that sweet Em for yours for me. ((hugs))