Wednesday, November 7, 2012

An Example To Follow

When I saw my sister this afternoon she was wearing a brace on her wrist.
I asked her what happened and she laughed and said, "I sprained my wrist.  I went roller skating, and I'm not as young as I used to be."

My sister had taken a group of about 35 kids from church roller skating and they challenged her to skate with them.
Heather has never been one to turn down a challenge and so although her skating skills were rusty, she skated around that rink.

Heather noticed a girl sitting in a dark corner of the roller skating rink, and she was with a boy that looked older.  As my sister put it, "the boy was all over that girl and she looked uncomfortable."
Heather skated up to the other adults in her group and asked them, "How old do you think that girl is?"
The consensus was that she couldn't be more than 12 years old.

Heather stood up and one of the other adults said, "Heather what are you doing?"

"I'm going to talk to her," Heather said.
The others in her group tried to talk her out of it but she wouldn't listen.
Heather skated over to the girl and said, "Hi!  What are you guys doing?"
She talked to the kids for a few minutes and invited the girl to skate with the group of kids from church.
The girl said no, and Heather turned to get back on the skating rink.
It was then that she fell and sprained her wrist.

There went whatever perceived authority she had. 

The girls from Heather's group had seen Heather talking to the young girl and asked Heather what she had said.
They had seen the girl and the boy and knew enough to know that the girl wasn't in a good situation.

For the rest of the night, whenever that boy got too close, or too hands on, one of the girls from Heather's group skated up to them and started talking to them.
They found out the girl was only 11 and the boy was 14.
That kid didn't stand a chance at getting any action as long as my sister and her girls were at the skating rink.
At one point one of Heather's girls said to the girl, "Does your mom know you're here making out with this kid?"  The girl blushed a deep red and didn't say anything.

They stayed until the rink closed and then watched as the girl waited on the curb for her mom to pick her up.

My sister told me today, "There was no way I was going to let that kid get away with anything, even if the girl was willing - at least not while I was there."

I love my sister.
I love the example that she is to everyone who knows her.
I love that her girls know exactly what Heather stands for, and I love that they are all striving to follow Heather's example.

There aren't enough people who defend purity, and I'm grateful to be related to someone who does.

5 comments:

Sam said...

This is awesome. Good for her, and for every one of those girls who pitched in and helped defend that girl's innocence. We need more people like them!

Tiffany said...

Yaaaayy Heather!! If only we all looked out for each other just a little bit more.

Allison said...

When I was in maybe middle school my parents went away on a work trip. It happened enough that we had a great group of 3 college girls that would come stay with us and also happened ot go to our church.
Having never been kissed I was really looking forward to the day, but I REALLY wanted it to be special. There was a boy who was older and, if I"m being honest, wasn't worth me investing my time in him. Still, I loved the attention that i got that weekend. I will never forget how he and I were sitting there in his yard and I knew he was going to try something, but realized how much I DIDN'T want anything to happen. He wasn't right, it wasn't right, and I new he was just a boy in puberty.
That's when Anne appeared out of no where. She came looking for me and basically rescued me from the situation. I should probably thank her for that. At the time I thought she was "stuffy" but know i get it.

Elizabeth said...

It's a scary, scary world. When did kids stop being kids so soon? Good for your sister and her YW girls. They all deserve a gold star. Thanks for sharing something good in this "eat, drink and be merry" society.

xo -E

More Pie said...

What a great story! Now, if only someone had told the girl's mother what her daughter had been up to...