Thursday, December 6, 2012

Guardian Angels

Emily's been fed a continuous night feed her entire life.
We run it slowly and it usually runs for eight or nine hours.
Our goal has always been to eventually get her off of her night feeds but we've never been able to accomplish it; her intolerance to her formula made it impossible to increase both the volume and the rate in which we feed her during the day.

One of the blessings of our new Emily has been that over the last two months we've gradually increased the amount of formula she gets during the day, and decreased it at night.

Two mornings ago I woke earlier than usual and felt the need to check on our little lady.
She had worked her way to the bottom of the crib and in the process had managed to wrap the slack in her feeding tube around her neck.

Had Emily rolled either direction, the feeding tube would have been pulled tighter, with the very likely possibility of choking her.
I said a silent prayer of gratitude for the angels that I'm sure were watching over my girl, and unwrapped the cord from around her neck.

It just so happens that that night was the last night Emily had an all night feed.
When Jason and I unhooked her tube for the night, after her final feed, we high-fived each other and sighed a huge sigh of relief as we walked out of Em's bedroom.

Our girl has come so far, and I'm just so grateful.

* * * * *

This morning Emily woke up earlier than normal coughing (she's had a lingering cough for a century now) and after I changed her I took her to my room and snuggled with her in bed.
She wasn't content to stay with me for very long.
After just a few minutes she scooted over to her daddy and snuggled into his shoulder and soon fell fast asleep for another hour.

(Jason told me that there was no way he was moving out of that bed until Emily woke up.  "Isn't this morning what every parents dreams of?" he said.)

I love these two.



5 comments:

Nessa said...

Aww that's such a sweet picture. Nothing better than snuggling with your baby. Chloe's been sick and fell asleep in my arms three time this week, and each time it was hard to bring her back to her bed.

Elizabeth said...

We got a king size bed just so there would be enough room for everyone to squish together in the mornings.

So sweet!

xo -E

Ali said...

Guardian angels indeed! You were divinely prompted to wake up and check on your sweet girl.
She is so precious and I am so happy to see how well she is doing!
And... Daddy's girl much?? :)

Shan said...

Whew! I am so happy you don't have to deal with continuous night feeds anymore!

And, oh my gosh, I can't believe she's turning into a chubby little toddler. Look at those cheeks! <3

Lalis said...

I love that picture... I love Daddy is holding that little girl's hand.

And, that is one awesome milestone for Emily!