Tuesday, December 4, 2012

In Which I Learn Something New


Yesterday I called my friend Bruce, who is the landscape architect at a local university.
"Bruce, can I ask you a question that has nothing to do with plants?"
He told me he would welcome such a question.
"Bruce, I made 21 dozen cookies, and although they taste great, there is something a little bit off with them and I can't figure out what it is.  Do you think it's possible that using unbleached flour made the slight difference?"
He told me it did, and then read to me the rules for when it's best to use bleached and unbleached flour.

I thanked him for being the smartest baker I know, and after he made sure he emailed me his top three recipes of the month, we ended our conversation.

I told my brother that my phone calls to Bruce are what keeps him loyal to us as a company.
He laughed and said, "I'm sure you're right!"

I think everyone should have their local landscape architect on speed dial!

The only reason I called him is because I'm going to make another 12 or 13 dozen cookies tonight and tomorrow, and I want them to be perfect.
My freezer is overflowing with cookie goodness!

Last night my sisters and I went and got manicures.
As the main color for my little sister's wedding is purple, we all got different shades of purple fingernail polish.
Look at the cute design I got:


Friends, I've stooped to a new level.
I really truly have.
Let me show you the evidence:


#1.  I let Emily lick the glass door to her heart's content.
#2. Not only did I let her lick it, as soon as I took this picture I smeared food all over the glass with the hope that she would lick it too.

One of these days I'm going to get a video of her reaction to food.
It's equal parts hilarious and tear inducing.

I better take advantage of the fact that Emily is home playing with her daddy - I have a stack of work that never seems to get any smaller.

If you need Bruce's phone number let me know!


4 comments:

-stephanie- said...

You didn't stoop to a new level...you stepped up to the level, that moms need to do whatever it takes to keep our little ones entertained. ;o) Em's a funny one!

TortugaRachel said...

I'll forgo the phone number, but you can share his recipes!

Hon, if I were you, I'd smear everything that kid touches with food if I thought it meant she might eat it. You do so much goodness for her, she picked such a great mommy.

Nessa said...

I let Chloe lick and kiss the bathroom mirror. Whatever makes them happy.
I wish I had a freezer of cookies!

Lalis said...

Hey... I'm all for being resourceful. Heck, if one day you tell me Emily finally ate off the kitchen floor, I'll shout hurray... and then I'd encourage the window ;)

...So... when do you use unbleached flour vs. bleached?