Monday, March 4, 2013

Shoes For Everyone


My 8 year old niece Gabi came into my office and said, "Noelle, my mom is going to kill me."

"Why?" I asked.

"I might have gotten a little bit of mud on my shoes," she said, "or maybe it's more than a little bit."

"Gabs, I don't think your mom is going to kill you because you got mud on your shoes.  You're a kid and that's what kids do," I told her.

"No, she's going to kill me," Gabi said.  "She already grounded me from wearing my Sunday shoes because I got mud on those too."

"Gabs let me see the shoes."

"Noelle, I'm warning you, they're bad."

"Let me see them," I said.

"Okay, but just remember, they're BAD."

Gabi left my office and returned a minute later with her shoes behind her back.

"Don't yell at me," she said.

"Gabi, I'm the aunt.  It's not my job to yell.  I'm just here to keep you from getting in big trouble."

Her shoes were COVERED in mud, from top to bottom, and it was really thick mud.

"Where did you go to find this mud?" I asked her.

"Well, Sami and I wanted to feed the fish, and by the time I realized how much mud was around the pond it was too late."

I looked at Sam and asked, "Are your shoes this bad?"

She nodded her head yes.

I called up to the office where I knew my sister was and asked, "Hypothetically, if Gabi got mud on her shoes would you get mad at her?" (Gabi was standing next to me chewing on her fingernails.)

My sister said, "Gabi doesn't take care of her things.  I wouldn't be mad but I would want her to think I was."

I hung up the phone and said to Gabi, "Come on.  Let's go clean your shoes."

And then I said to Sami, "You stay here and stay out of trouble!"

She just smiled.

Gabi wore my shoes out to the greenhouse where we have a big sink and she watched me clean her shoes.

By the time I was finished my shirt was covered in mud specks.

We walked back to my office and I cleaned Sami's shoes too.  They were soaking wet and Sami couldn't wear them after they were clean.

"Ladies, we're going to Walmart to get you mud shoes.  If I ever see you wearing any other shoes but your mud shoes to the nursery, you are dead meat."

I carried a shoeless Sami and by the time we were finished each girl had two pairs of shoes that they had picked out themselves, and they were thrilled.

Back at the nursery I opened Sami's door to carry her still shoeless self inside.  As I picked her up she said, "Noelle, it's like your my butler.  Oh, and I like your hair and you smell good."

In my book, if you're old enough to call your aunt the butler, you're old enough to walk, even if you are shoeless.

As it turns out I couldn't buy Gabi and Sami shoes without buying Erika shoes too, so Erika and Tyler (the youngest one in the family) and I made a second trip to Walmart, where Erika also picked out two pairs of shoes, and Tyler picked out Dora pajamas.

Except that I wouldn't let him buy them.

"Tyler, you can't have Dora pajamas.  Pick out different ones."  (If you were to ask my brother-in-law, Dora pajamas are right up there with me painting Tyler's toe nails because he wants to be like his sisters.)

"But I wike Dowa," he said.

He wanted Dora up until I showed him the Lightning McQueen pjs, and then all was right in his world.

And don't worry, the little miss didn't get left out.
She got new shoes too...not from Walmart, but from our friend Terry.
Emily's a fan.



2 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

Love those squeaky shoes too! Mud on shoes, eh? Sounds like Gabi did it up right!

Bridget said...

You are a fantastic story teller! Loved this! :)