Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I Have A Love Hate Relationship With Spring

Em and I are on our own for the rest of the week.
It's the time of year when Jason travels a lot and it's the time of year when my work schedule is insane.
I hope my sweet girl doesn't get sick to death of Mommy's office, because that's where she'll be spending most of her time.
I try to make it as fun as I can for her.
We have a TV with a DVD player so that she can watch her shows.
We go for wagon rides.



We visit Emily's best friend Aunt Becca.
We play outside in the dirt when the sun is shining.
We throw plastic balls at each other.



Emily makes messes, and takes over Mommy's chair.



We read stories and snuggle and when Em finally takes a nap I work as hard and fast as I can to get caught up.
I never get caught up.

Did you happen to notice that Emily got a haircut?  It was time - it was past time.
She no longer has the one patch of hair that is twice as long as the rest, and I'm in love with her cute little pixie cut.
Thanks Jess!  

Because of this dilemma of never getting caught up (and that's not even touching all that I'm behind with at home) and Jason traveling a lot, I made the decision to cancel all of Emily's therapies for the next three months.

We've had weekly therapy appointments since Emily was just a few months old, and with the exception of her physical therapy, I haven't noticed a huge difference in Em's development because of the other therapists.

Something had to give, and when it came down to my sanity or Em's therapy appointments ... well, I need my sanity.
We'll start up again in July, but I can't tell you what a relief it is to not have someone knocking on my door at noon once or twice a week.

I know I'm beyond blessed to be able to take Emily to work with me, but it's hard.  It's really hard.

Today I had to run up to our store while Emily was taking a nap.
(My office is on one end of the property, and the store is on the other end.)
My cousin Travis was in the office helping a couple of customers and I asked him to just listen for Emily.
I knew she wouldn't wake up in the short time I was gone, but knowing Travis was in the office gave me peace of mind.
Five minutes later, as I was walking back to my office, I saw Travis and the customers walking out into the trees.
I picked up my pace knowing Em was alone in the office, and a minute later Travis turned and saw me.

"Prima! (prima means cousin in Spanish) I forgot I was supposed to watch her.  I knew I was forgetting something when I walked out of the office but I couldn't remember what it was."

In his defense, Travis is a bachelor and has no kids of his own.  I let him off the hook after making him feel just a little bit guilty when I suggested that it would have been his fault had someone snuck in and kidnapped my cute little girl.

It was 7:00 tonight before I packed up and headed for home.
I had to run an errand and so it was nearing 8:30 before we walked in the door.
Emily played while I washed the dishes that have been in the sink for a couple of days, and then Emily was ready for bed.

Emily sets the schedule for her nap time and her bed time.  
When she's tired and ready for bed she will come up to me and tug on my leg until I pick her up.
After I pick her up I ask her if she's ready to go night night.  If all she wanted was a hug she'll squirm out of my arms and continue to play.
If she truly is ready for bed she will put her head on my shoulder and keep it there until we head up the stairs.
Tonight she was sound asleep within just ten minutes of walking into her bedroom.

I'm sure this post had a point when I started it, but I've long forgotten what it was.
Maybe it was simply to say that my life is nuts.
I've always wished that everyone in my life could work in a garden center in the spring time, for just a week or two.
It would cure all possibility of someone getting offended when it takes me a week to respond to a text, or when I don't answer my phone - ever.

If you get bored and want to come and visit Emily while she's at work, I'm sure she would love the company, and the change of scenery!








4 comments:

Hilary and Eric said...

Don't be surprise if you see me at work soon ;) I just can't quit you and I feel like I've gone cold turkey LOL!! Xoxo!

Beth Zimmerman said...

I wish I could, sweet girl! Hang in there! =)

Elizabeth said...

Oh, my gosh. That cute little Emily.

I'm going to stake out your offices and when I'm sure that Travis is watching Emily, I will sneak in and steal her. It will be fun to bring her to work with me.

xo -E

Dazee Dreamer said...

I have to say, I could never do everything that you do. You are a true hero in my book