Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Day

I don't think this day could be any less productive if I tried!
Not unproductive in the I didn't shower or comb my hair and I'm still in my pajamas kind of way, but in the I've been at work for nearly five hours now and have yet to do anything work related way.

Let's see - Emily's feeding tube fed the floor, rather than Emily's stomach and I spent nearly an hour cleaning the carpet.

My brother had my car (which had a change of clothes for the little lady) and so my sister ran to the store and bought an outfit so that Em wouldn't remain sopping wet the entire day.  (Thanks Manda!)

I spent half an hour trying to get Emily to take a nap (she's opposed to all things sleep lately, and I'm turning into a zombie).

I spent another half hour talking to a customer I hadn't seen in a long time.

My co-worker recently had a baby, and when her babysitter brought her baby to work unexpectedly, my co-worker asked if she could leave her baby in my office, asleep in her car seat, until she finished what she needed to do in the greenhouses.

I said yes, and of course as soon as my co-worker left, her little girl started to cry and wouldn't stop until I took her out of the car seat and held her.
It would seem we are a full service nursery - both with your plant and baby needs.

A sales rep sent a text this morning asking if he could stop by and show me some pictures of plants that he downloaded to his iPad.
I kindly told him that today wouldn't be a good day, and that if I needed anything, I would just go to their website.
He showed up anyway and so right after the feeding tube fiasco and before I had a chance to clean it or Emily up, I had to put a smile on my face and visit with the sales rep.

And now Em is going to wake up from her nap any minute and I'm going to take her home.
I would stay late except that my carpet is still incredibly wet, and I don't want Em crawling all over it.

Jason has been gone since Saturday and won't be home until sometime this coming Saturday or Sunday.
He's backpacking somewhere in Southern Utah and after the fourth time he tried to sell this trip as work I stopped him mid-sentence.

"Hon, you can sell this as a work trip to the rest of the world if you would like, but don't even try with me.  This is a vacation and we both know it."
He smiled and gave me a big hug and said, "I owe you."

Yes.  Yes he does.

I'm going to go now and pack up my stack of paperwork and lug it home with me.
(Full disclosure would require that I tell you that lugging the paperwork home doesn't matter.  I don't do anything with it when I'm home.  It just makes me feel better to take it home with me because it means there's a chance that I'll accomplish something.)

Here's hoping I never have to ask any of you for a job.  I think I've done a lousy job at selling myself as a good employee!









4 comments:

Lynne Mathis said...

Oh, how I remember those days! I worked from home as the bookkeeper for our church and homeschooled all of our children too! But life is broken up into "seasons", and as we know, seasons always change. I know this "season" is hectic, tiring, remarkable rewarding, special, and hard but yet wonderful....just enjoy it and try not to stress the little things! I think you are doing a great job!

MamaMags said...

I counted many things you accomplished today. To name a few: compassion, service, patience, love, loyalty, friendly, sensitive, calm, nurturing, responsible, respectful, and helpful. Are you hirable? Yes....you definitely are!

Sandra said...

But if you were asking me for a job that would mean you would want to talk to or more importantly listen to students and we all know that you can do that. And there is rarely anything to take home. And if you spend your whole day just sitting behind your desk listening- then that is ok.

(and besides, didn't we used to use the building where you are now?)

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Husbands. I love them but sometimes they make me crazy.

Mine tried to convince me that he "has to go to Boston in June for work". Reality is that he's going for a Red Sox game with guys from work. don't even get me started on the fact that he blew our "if it's more than $50 you have to get permission" rule. Guess it doesn't apply for "work trips" that come out of our bank account...