Wednesday, July 31, 2013

It Wasn't My Finest Moment

Jason's hometown has a population of 2,000 people - give or take a few or one hundred...I'm not really sure because Google hasn't updated their information since 2011.
That's not the point.
The point is that Jason's hometown has a population of 13678432 deer.
They wander the streets, especially at night, and they're so comfortable with life they would probably tip their hat at you, if they wore hats.

One night after Emily was asleep for the night Jason and I took advantage of a house full of people and went for a walk.
Jason would tell me about the people who lived in each of the homes - some of them have interesting stories - and every few feet we would pass another deer.

Anyone who had bothered to plant flowers had some kind of protection from the deer:

-mesh fencing
-chicken wire
-netting

Several homes had white fences with big gaps between the fence strings.
After we had passed a few of them I asked Jason, "How on earth do those keep the deer out?  There is enough of a gap that all a deer has to do is put his head between the strings."

"Maybe there's some kind of netting we can't see," Jason suggested.

"Maybe they spray some kind of repellent on the fence," he said next.

We were just walking past another home with the same white fencing and I said "Just a minute.  I'm going to investigate."

I walked up to the fence and put my hand between one of the gaps.

"Nope, there is no netting.  This is a dumb way..." and while I was saying this I waved my hand back and forth.

A shock of electricity ran from my hand all the way up to my elbow and I jumped back and yelled "OUCH!"

And as I stood on the sidewalk in the dark, with Jason trying to hug me but not doing a good job because of how hard he was laughing I said, "Now we know."

My arm took three days to recover from the ELECTRIC FENCE and Jason will never stop laughing about it.

After I complained the rest of the walk home Jason did offer to put his own arm through one of the fences if it made me feel better, but I was a good wife and told him he didn't have to.

He owes me.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Ouch! I'm sorry...but now we all know. Thanks :)

Mom on a Line said...

Well, I saw that coming, but still laughed when I read it. Thanks for waking me up when I needed it!

Glad to know you are better now.

Karen said...

Reading your blog always brightens my day! Your sweet Emily is so blessed to have you.