Monday, June 23, 2014

Simple Reminders

One night last week I stopped at a new park I had seen on the drive home the day before.
In our book, the more slides a park has, the better it is.
This park didn't disappoint and Emily was in heaven.

There were a lot of little kids playing, and one little boy, who was maybe six years old, took an interest in Emily.
After several attempts at talking to her, and only getting little squeaks and finger pointing from her, he turned to me and said, "She's a shy little one isn't she?"

I explained that Emily wasn't shy - she just couldn't talk.

"Really?  She can't say anything?"

"She can say words with sign language," I said, and then asked if he knew what sign language was.
He said he did and we left it at that.

A few minutes later Emily's shoe fell off and the little boy jumped down from where they were playing and got her shoe, and gave it back to her.

Emily made the sign for thank you and the boy looked at me with a question on his face.

"That's 'thank you' in sign language," I told him.

"I had no idea," he said.  He sounded like such a little grown up.

I could tell he was thinking about it for a minute and then he said, "Gracias.  That's thank you in Spanish.  I'm learning a language just like she is."

I immediately got a little teary eyed at the innocence and compassion of this little man.

He wanted nothing more than to relate somehow to Emily - to understand her.
And in his way he did just that.
He took her differences and handled them perfectly, and made it so that there was no difference at all...they were two little kids playing together, both of them learning a language that would allow them to communicate.

In that moment I hoped with all of my heart that people would always show my sweet Emily that much love, and I was reminded of the need there is for me to also extend that same love to everyone I come in contact with.

We should all spend more time at the park...that's the moral of the story.






4 comments:

Beth Zimmerman said...

Love this! Feeling all misty!

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Love this post! Makes me want to tell those parents thank you. Sometimes people get parenting so incredibly right.

Karen Mortensen said...

What a sweet story. Someone is raising that young man right.

Anaise said...

That's a lovely and inspiring story.