Wednesday, June 11, 2014

They Should Make Longer Ropes

I'm at the end of my rope.
Truly.
I need something to give, but there is not a single thing that I can change right now to make life less end of my rope-ish.

Here's just a taste of life recently:

My debit card number got hacked.  I caught it after just one charge, and the bank blocked my card.  I don't usually carry cash and so I'm mostly stuck until my new card comes.  Tonight I took Jason's card to go and buy milk.

I ended up in the ER over the weekend due to a mosquito bite that quickly turned into cellulitis.  Enough people told me that cellulitis is not something you mess with, and has the potential to be life-threatening that I took them seriously and went to the ER (it was late enough that no other medical facility was open.)  They put me on a heavy duty antibiotic and it looks like I'm going to live.

Emily's occupational therapist came today and after assuring me that Emily is smarter than any other child he sees, he kindly told me that he feels Em's lack of speech at this point is a more severe problem than we've assumed up to this point.

And this comes after learning this week that insurance won't cover private speech therapy because speech isn't something that Em had and then lost.

The therapist also recognized that keeping Emily from being bored is a full-time job.
And it is.
He gave me a few apps to download that are for preschool/kindergarten age kids - he thinks they will be at the level Emily is ready for.

Bless her heart.
She's leaps and bounds ahead of the game and she can't even say the word hi.

It's becoming a source of frustration for her actually.
Emily is the most calm, patient, happy toddler I've ever known, but in this one thing, she loses patience quickly.  And all the sign language in the world doesn't help that frustration...because in her mind she thinks she's talking, but all that comes out are her little squeaks.

(Speaking of patience...I was texting with a person from our local search and rescue team.  I have some medical supplies I am going to give to the team.  Every single time this guy referred to patients they treat, he spelled it 'patience.'  I wanted to tell him that I could only give him the supplies once he learned how to spell the word right.)

One more little thing and then I'll let you see some pretty cute pictures of our girl.

Let's make a pact right now...that we will never ever ever ask someone when they are going to have another baby.
Say it with me: "I will never again ask a woman when she is going to have a/another baby."

I don't need to elaborate on the reasons why we're making such a pact right?
Because I will.
If I need to.
I'm just worried I might not be able to make it sound nice...and stuff.

Here - some pictures.
This little waterfall is right outside of my office.
When Em needs a break this is where we go.


















8 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Beautiful pictures. I hope things will get better for you.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Cutest almost-three-year-old on the planet! Thanks in part, to that tongue.

Hang in Momma!

Jaimie said...

Is she receiving early intervention through the state. She could be having a speech therapist come and work with her. I am a speech therapist and am happy to answer any questions. I serve a Jordan and Canyons school district in Utah, but I can direct you to appropriate program. There is also place such as Scottish Rite which offers free speech therapy. Please call with any questions, I am happy to help you in any way. My name is Jaimie, email me at yellowroom33@gmail.com and I will give you my phone number if you are interested,

Venassa said...

She is such an adorable little girl! I'm so sorry to hear that they think her speech problems are more severe. Girl can't catch a break at all :(
Hope you keep hanging on to that rope! Thinking of you

Bridget said...

Could she be any cuter!!??
Sorry for your frustrations!!
That waterfall is beautiful!

cathyjoy said...

Don't stop sharing your life and your pictures of Emily! I look forward to reading about you and your beautiful family always!

Many prayers and much love to you...

Cathy

cathyjoy said...

Don't stop sharing your life and your pictures of Emily! I look forward to reading about you and your beautiful family always!

Many prayers and much love to you...

Cathy

Carol said...

Adorable!