Monday, November 17, 2014

The Conclusion

So much for my resolution to write every day this month...

Last you knew, Emily likely had a fractured hip.
We met with a pediatric orthopedic surgeon and after looking over the x-rays he told us that Em did not have a fracture...he couldn't see anything wrong with her hip.

"Maybe she sprained it," he said.

And then, as almost a side note he said, "You might want to watch her for signs of leukemia, but from an orthopedic standpoint she's fine."

Right.
Watch her for signs of leukemia.

I called the pediatrician that same morning and told her about the appointment.
She said to me, "I'm ordering blood work now.  She doesn't show any signs of leukemia, but let's just take this off the table."

And so within just a couple of hours of the appointment with the orthopedic surgeon Em and I made our way to the hospital to get blood drawn.

That little girl was such a trooper.  She was nervous but we sang the ABC song through once and by the time we finished the song the nurse was done with taking her blood.

The nurses loved Em's rendition of the ABC's and commented on how cute she was.

Thankfully, the pediatrician called me back that afternoon with the results ... Em's blood work was clear.

To be honest, I was worried for a little while.
I spend part of my life just waiting for the other shoe to drop, and I was really worried that leukemia would be that other shoe.

It's not rational, I know, but given Emily's history, I don't know how to turn that part of my brain off.
I think it was the next day when I finally sat down for a few minutes and just cried.

Emily continued to limp until just a few days ago.

She's now got a miserable cold and we've had to keep her home from school, but in spite of not feeling well she's her happy self.

Thanks to all of you who checked in on the little miss ... we so appreciate your love and concern!





5 comments:

Lisa Lucchese said...

What a little sweetie. So glad it was nothing serious. I wonder if it was part of a virus (muscle ache perhaps) as you said she came down with a cold.

Love the picture!

Karen Mortensen said...

So glad she is okay.

Vijayalakshmi said...

:) I'm glad the blimming limp is gone. I don't know why no one mentioned transient synovitis. Don't care now that it's over. xxo

Venassa said...

The other post didn't show up in my feed so I read it now. It must've been so scary but I'm glad to hear the bloodwork was clear.
Hope her cold clears up fast! It sounds like she just takes it all in stride though.

Dazee Dreamer said...

Phew. Glad everything is ok. I love the picture. So cute